VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Mon, June 21 2021, 12:09:03
Author: BfloGriff
Subject: Is the sky really falling?

BfloGriff is surprised Voy Canisius isn't blowing up with doom and gloom over the SCOTUS decision of today. Maybe Griff hasn't had time yet to post them. But maybe those of us who read that stuff for a living aren't so sure what the outcome is. So far the impact might be only that hoops and football programs can sweeten up their scholarships in educationally related ways. Duke or Harvard,for example, might be in a position to offer not only under grad education, but throw in law or med or other grad school. But they can't offer just cash. I guess we'll see how creative the Power 5 schools become, especially when it comes to recruiting one and done 5*s in Hoops. Can a grad program MBA be waiting after their lucrative NBA career? Pitino/Iona should be interesting.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Is the sky really falling? -- Buffalo Super Fan, Fri, June 25 2021, 19:36:10

The sky isn’t falling but as Canisius Golden Griffins alum and former basketball team manager it breaks my heart how low Canisius Golden Griffins basketball has fallen along with Niagara Purple Eagles basketball that should never have happened in the first place. When I was a kid Buffalo Memorial Auditorium double headers drew 10,000 to 11,000 for a Saturday Night game there. It never had to come to this and still doesn’t have to. Only Canisius and Niagara are hurting themselves. Like I said I am loyal to four Buffalo Big 4 schools because I went to all four schools games as a kid before I ever went to Canisius College to school.

Canisius can win ten national championship and my loyalty is with Buffalo/Western New York first as a Buffalo sports fan. So again Canisius can do whatever they want as heart broken as I am about Griffs basketball I am still a Griffs fan as long as there Division I basketball school. But I am also a fan of the other 3 Big 4 basketball schools. The Buffalo Bills and St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball are loaded and this season offer Buffalo it’s two best chances at a National Championship for Buffalo this season. See how that works the goal is to win a National Championship for Buffalo. Even back in the day when I was at Canisius even against the odds for a small private school the goal was to win a National Championship for Buffalo that is why there is a score board not be happy with slop and say oh well golly gee wiz. I don’t care what some clown Canisius alum with a Buffalo inferiority complex thinks about Griffs basketball or what some Canisius professor with there own agendas thinks about Griffs basketball. Canisius basketball is a Division I basketball school the goal is to win a National Championship for Buffalo and WNY period yearly that should always be the goal. Now are the odds against that sure because there is only one National basketball championship yearly in men’s basketball.

Too many people at Canisius don’t get that if Griffs basketball team is successful the school of Canisius grows and becomes bigger hence more money for professor with his own agendas gets more money. Canisius potentially gets rid of Division I basketball good luck with that line of crazy thought. Canisius alum or not the school will never see another dime of my money again. Again I am just speaking for myself as a Canisius alum second loyalty first is always to Buffalo/WNY loyalty first. So yes I am a huge Griffs basketball team but I am partying and going to the parade if the Bonnies or Purple Eagles or Bulls won because they are all from WNY. I don’t support non Division I area Buffalo/WNY schools sorry Daemon College basketball or Buffalo State basketball. If Canisius and Niagara potentially dropped Division I basketball I would say that is a shame oh well at least as a Buffalo/WNY sports fan I still have UB basketball, football and St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball that hasn’t lost there minds see how that works. Canisius and Niagara are fooling themselves if they think that there schools can grow with no Division I athletics Buffalo/WNY I believe would just focus on UB and St Bonaventure than in my opinion. Go Griffs! Let’s Go Buffalo

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Is the sky really falling? -- We get the point., Sat, June 26 2021, 10:25:24

The issue is the school hasn’t kept up with what is need to be a mid major. Bona invests and also the school leverages basketball for almost all alumni functions. We made strides when Beilein was here and then screwed it up with MacDonald & Parrotta. Baron was getting us on track and his untimely retirement didn’t help the program. Not sure what would be the words to describe this group of coaches. We would all welcome a change. Unfortunately it won’t happen with Hurley at the helm. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Is the sky really falling? -- GoldenGriff32, Tue, June 29 2021, 7:13:44

If the Griffs ever drop D1 ball, I will never attend another Canisius sporting event. Does the school realize every time the Griffs play their scores are shown on the ESPN networks at least 20 times a night, in addition to CBSSN,NBCSN,and FS1. You can't pay for that free advertisement.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Is the sky really falling? -- BfloGriff, Mon, June 28 2021, 5:35:19

The above sentiments have been expressed here all too often over all too many recent years. THE POWERS THAT BE either really don't get it or don't know what they need to do, (if they do have a clue). Meanwhile the water keeps on going over (or under) the bridge and it's getting really late to try to stop it.Unfortunately all of that triteness also applies to Alma Mater as a whole in 2021, IMO. Yes she needs a big breath of fresh air. Capital Campaign in 2022? Time is flying. What will become of her before 2022? There may be too many administration contracts with time to run that can be bought out so some new blood can be brought in to right the sinking ship. Can even Nik Wallenda save her?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Is the sky really falling? -- Nothing new, Mon, June 28 2021, 13:17:24

Nik Wallenda isn’t a strategy. Enrollment for the fall is up. This is good news and the new majors are a draw. The campus also looks better with regard to the physical plant. Now let’s build the CC brand with a long term strategy and do something with athletics with a focus on hoops. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Is the sky really falling? -- BfloGriff, Mon, June 28 2021, 17:16:26

Of course, Nik Wallenda isn't a strategy for anything. Enrollment is up, really? From what, to what? Which new majors are the draw? BfloGriff took a walk around the main campus today. The Winter Center traffic ramp no longer appears to be a hazard. That's good. The quads have been straightened up, but it looks like the sprinkler system is either in need of repair or it hasn't been used in the last year or two to save $$. There are some nice new building names on the doors of some buildings, but no seasonal plantings on the grounds. I assume from the lack of weeding and other neglect that the Maintenance Dept. was cut along with the faculty. Building the CC brand with a long term strategy and do something with athletics with a focus on hoops? Absolutely! But where is the leadership? Go Griffs, indeed.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Is the sky really falling? -- Respectfully..., Mon, June 28 2021, 17:10:23

Enrollment BETTER be up. It couldn't get much lower. I'm very excited to hear about the out-of-state numbers. It's great to see residential students on campus again.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Is the sky really falling? -- BfloGriff, Tue, June 29 2021, 4:58:35

Are out-of-state numbers really up? How many residential students? Up from what number? what courses are attracting new students? Etc., etc. Can someone publish some valid numbers here or on the Canisius site as a news item?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Is the sky really falling? -- Data, Tue, June 29 2021, 12:18:57

Numbers are up with regard to the freshman class enrollment. Not sure how many out of state. We’re also drawing more female students. We don’t need to keep drawing kids from WNY. That type of thinking is short sited and will lead to death. Analytics and the Practitioner majors seem to be garnering interest. If the school is to thrive it needs to follow Father Cooke’s vision of being an institution beyond Buffalo.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Is the sky really falling? -- Yes..., Tue, June 29 2021, 14:11:20

I understand people's frustration and skepticism but Canisius had a great year recruiting in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Out of state students are up, and that's a GREAT sign for Canisius over the next few years.

I haven't seen official numbers, and the college doesn't release them until closer to the Fall, but the Admissions Team had a much better year than 2020.

I'll see what I can find out, but the leadership has been very happy with the numbers.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Is the sky really falling? -- This is good news!, Wed, June 30 2021, 11:14:08

Now build off of it and don’t look back. The President & Board of Directors need to continue to build a long term plan & strategy for the institution. Go Griffs!

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.