VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Wed, August 04 2021, 22:12:41
Author: Buffalo Super Fan
Subject: Re: What about Athletics (especially MBB)?
In reply to: BfloGriff 's message, "What about Athletics (especially MBB)?" on Wed, August 04 2021, 4:26:05

I think Canisius College is fine as a college. University status really doesn’t matter today Boston College does fine same for Providence College. What has University label given Niagara basketball? I would rather Canisius become Boston College or Providence College in basketball over Niagara University if given the choice. Today sadly I wouldn’t have gone to today’s Canisius College. With UB Division I today that is where I would have gone today. I never applied to UB in the 1980’s because it lacked Division I athletics. Canisius was bigger time back than basketball wise than today. That is reality and I am Canisius alum saying that so imagine what non Canisius alums are thinking? The bottom line Canisius is yuck Daemon College today without Division I basketball.

Maybe someday the board at Canisius College that makes these college economic decisions understands the image today compared from the 1980’s playing big time at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium is totally different. You can make Canisius University whatever until Canisius wakes up and realize students want the whole package for $29,000 plus a year. Why should Canisius cost more and have some of the worst athletics facilities in America? That isn’t acceptable my high school locally has made more athletics upgrades than Canisius why? No one at Canisius wants to take accountability. Canisius needs to renovate the KAC to 5,000 seats or just close the school and sell the buildings to New York State. Than Canisius buildings can become UB and Canisius alums from the past can root for UB. I am really at that point with Canisius College now make the decision what Canisius wants to be and do it. I want Canisius to have Reilly Center basketball facilities or just close the school. Because what is going on now is embarrassing. UB and St Bonaventure can have nice basketball facilities and Canisius basketball can’t that is a joke and speaks of the poor leadership at Canisius after coach John Beilein and athletic director Dr Dan Starr left Canisius basketball is a mess since. I lost hope when Dr Starr left I knew Canisius basketball was in trouble. When people take over that are outsiders to Canisius they don’t care it is just a job. Dr Starr was the AD when I was there and say what you want he at least cared and was there for a long time so you respect him. I have no respect for Bill Maher who had no vision at UB that is why he never got the UB AD job. Reggie Witherspoon was a disaster at UB. Believe me I am a UB fan and have nephews at UB today. I know UB athletics well neither one of those two had any vision and were mediocre at best.

Erie county has over 900,000 plus population yet St Bonaventure Bonnies have way better basketball facilities that makes zero sense and there are no acceptable excuses today for that by the so called leaders of Canisius College. As for the out of touch Buffalo News they are the last people Canisius College should take any advice from. The Buffalo News is the same newspaper that thought UB shouldn’t play FBS football nor should St Bonaventure stay in the multiple NCAA bid A-10 Conference but instead join the single bid MAAC. And today one of the Buffalo News writers doesn’t think Buffalo should listen to the Buffalo Bills mafia fans but instead watch the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres leave Buffalo so Buffalo can aspire to be Portland, Maine you can’t make this stuff up the Buffalo News has no vision and as a Buffalonian are the last people I would take advice from what is best for Buffalo. The Buffalo News comes from a New York City centric New York Times point of view and aren’t a champion for what is always best for Buffalo and Western New York over the years in my opinion. Go Griffs! Let’s Go Buffalo

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: What about Athletics (especially MBB)? -- BfloGriff, Thu, August 05 2021, 7:34:55

University status does matter. Boston College is a University. It's called "College" because the "University" name was already taken by another school, "Boston University". Both, top notch schools, award terminal degrees (PhD, M.D., etc.) Neither Niagara nor Bona award terminal degrees any longer since they closed their Seminaries years ago. They were allowed to keep "University" in their names because they had it for so long. In the academic sense they are really colleges. Like CC the highest degree they now award is a Masters' Degree.As to the News editorial, CC does not need to take advice from it. THE POWERS THAT BE were said to be working on plans for awarding Doctorate level degrees several years ago. That apparently fell by the wayside when stagnation started to take over. The right new blood can change all that, if TPTB make the right choice for new leadership. He/She must be able to think with "big picture", "outside the box" vision. University status is part of that, as also is a solid D1 athletics program, as also is a diverse and widely ranged student body, as also is first rate facilities, as also highly effective fund raising, and as also is, of course,top notch academics taught by a top notch faculty. "The University of St. Peter Canisius, in Buffalo". Imagine that!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: What about Athletics (especially MBB)? -- GoGriffsGo, Thu, August 05 2021, 17:26:04

What school would Canisius merge with? I'm all for it - anything to expand the footprint and increase enrollment. I'm not sure a university name would help, but I don't think it would hurt. Being able to go by juts "Canisius" is an important step - just like with Marquette, Xavier, Gonzaga, Duquesne, etc.

Outside of that, the blueprint is pretty simple:

Get a better fieldhouse for basketball / volleyball

Invest more in athletic staffing - esp. basketball

Invest more in athletics marketing - esp. social media and video content

Invest in staff that can help market athletes with their personal brand

Invest in improving the game experience and atmosphere

It all comes down to $$$$

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: What about Athletics (especially MBB)? -- BuffaloGriff, Fri, August 06 2021, 6:10:23

We don't have to merge with anyone. Vision and $$$ to advance the vision can get it done.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.