VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

James Dean touched us, though he never had the chance to do many films...I wonder what he would have been capable of, had he lived?

REBECCA - Joan Fontaine and Judith Anderson

Since we're doing 'Rogers' people, here's a cute compilation of my favourite entertainer, Ginger!

My dear, sweet Mommie, doing her Top Hat shtick!

Thank you, Jan's Graphics!

Subject: In the meantime....

Author:
Angela
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:32:44 01/31/07 Wed

How about we vote on our picks to win at the Oscars??
Here are a few of the more popular topics... What do you think?

Performance by an actor in a leading role

Leonardo DiCaprio in “Blood Diamond”
Ryan Gosling in “Half Nelson”
Peter O’Toole in “Venus”
Will Smith in “The Pursuit of Happyness”
Forest Whitaker in “The Last King of Scotland”

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

Alan Arkin in “Little Miss Sunshine” (Fox Searchlight)
Jackie Earle Haley in “Little Children” (New Line)
Djimon Hounsou in “Blood Diamond” (Warner Bros.)
Eddie Murphy in “Dreamgirls” (DreamWorks and Paramount)
Mark Wahlberg in “The Departed” (Warner Bros.)

Performance by an actress in a leading role

Penélope Cruz in “Volver” (Sony Pictures Classics)
Judi Dench in “Notes on a Scandal” (Fox Searchlight)
Helen Mirren in “The Queen” (Miramax, Pathé and Granada)
Meryl Streep in “The Devil Wears Prada” (20th Century
Kate Winslet in “Little Children” (New Line)

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

Adriana Barraza in “Babel” (Paramount and Paramoun
Cate Blanchett in “Notes on a Scandal” (Fox Searchlight)
Abigail Breslin in “Little Miss Sunshine” (Fox
Jennifer Hudson in “Dreamgirls” (DreamWorks and Pa
Rinko Kikuchi in “Babel” (Paramount and Paramount

Best animated feature film of the year

“Cars” (Buena Vista) John Lasseter
“Happy Feet” (Warner Bros.) George Miller
“Monster House” (Sony Pictures Releasing) Gil Kenan

Best motion picture of the year

“Babel”
“The Departed”
“Letters from Iwo Jima”
“Little Miss Sunshine”
“The Queen”

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: Turkish Re-makes

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:04:02 05/20/07 Sun

Since I've come to prowl You Tube, I made a strange discovery; evidently there's a thriving movie industry in Turkey that for a number of years has been making their own versions of films popular here in America. The most well known (now get this) is "Turkish Star Wars," which seems on its way to gaining a cult status through You Tube and now My Space, both of which have numerous videos made from the film in their video selections. In You Tube there's also scenes from the "Turkish Wizard of Oz," "Turkish Superman," "Turkish Dracula" and others, and a re-make of "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein" called "Ismail Yassin Meets Frankenstein (1953)." On My Space I've seen scenes from the "Turkish Mad Max" too. I kid you not, this is all true.

The one that seems closest to the original is the "Turkish Wizard of Oz" far as the way the characters look, but it's odd seeing the scene where they meet the Wizard for the first time and instead of the "Great and Powerful Oz" routine, they simply see a sinister skull on an altar of some kind. The special effects in all these films is definitely not up to Hollywood standards, and in fact the "Turkish Star Wars" uses footage from the original Star Wars for the outer space sequences, such as the space ships and so forth. Still, it is fascinating seeing familiar films redone in a different fashion.

Replies:
Subject: Gordon Scott, a classic Tarzan

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:31:04 05/04/07 Fri

I just read how Gordon Scott, perhaps the second most well known actor to portray Tarzan, has just died. Though he never got out of Johnny Weismueller's shadow, he was the primary Tarzan throughout the 1950s.

Replies:
Subject: OK, I'lladmit it....I cried AGAIN!!!

Author:
Judi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:03:45 04/01/07 Sun

Just HAD to watch, To Sir With Love, the other night. I had seen it in our little Capital Theatre when it came out; who's red carpets, art deco mirror, and dark balcony, are now a parking lot!
Gosh, Sidney has such a GOOD, TRUE look about him. I love how he threw out the textbooks (what else could he do?) and gained their respect by talking about things they could relate to...and by treating them like adults (the museum invitations, for one)
Ooh, am I evil-minded, or was there 'jussssttt a tad' of sexual tension, in the end of school dance between Sir and Pamela (Judy Geeson, whom I thought looked a lot like Jean Shrimpton)Wow...
Anyway, it was a fun stroll back to 'my' era, and Lulu's song always makes me mooshy, at the end. BTW, Lulu still looks great, I saw her on one of the PBS old bands shows...still tiny.

Replies:
Subject: A Raisin in theSun!

Author:
Judith
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:30:33 04/11/07 Wed

I guess everyone's busy, but I'm throwing a few things out, just in case someone pops back in.
I won't write much now, been a busy day, but HAD to mention that I saw A Raisin in the Sun again, after many years. Wow, there was so much I'd forgotten, and I sat in AWE of the acting ability of ALL the cast, but most especially of Sidney Poitier and Claudia McNeil!!! Wow....they did not allow you that detatched comfort space, that one can usually get when the tension climbs too high...nope, you were THERE; I was there, in the midst of their intense struggle.
Sidney was an emasculated man, who was desperately seeking his place of respect in the family....there were times that you felt uneasy, that he was about to explode! And his mom was a proud, wise woman who'd worked in kitchens all her life, and normally had calm guidence to give...except for a scene where she had taken more than she could stand, and appeared as a mountain (volcano) beginning to quake from her feet, up and up, till you thought she'd self-destruct. GREAT actor, and we never hear of her.
Take another look, if you haven't seen it in a while!

Replies:
Subject: Goodbye Again..

Author:
Judith
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:15:56 04/04/07 Wed

I saw a good part of this 4-star movie today, from 1961, and starring Ingrid Bergman, Anthony Perkins, and Yves Montad.
Ingrid is an interior decorator who has been stranded in Paris by her lover, Yves. There she meets Anthony...I missed the beginning but basically, an older woman/younger man, whirlwind love affair blossoms. Tony becomes lazy, wanting only to be with Ingrid, and ole Yves returns on the scene, unexpectedly. She has feelings for both men...decisions, decisions!!!
The word glossy comes to mind, really nice imagery....some touching 'rain' scenes, and the CARS are small, Euro, and sexy!
Of course, Ingrid's emotions are subtle yet unmistakable...such as when a young Perkins is in her arms, and she says something to comfort him, like, 'Oh you silly fool', yet a passing look in her eyes lets you know that those words are really meant for herself.
Funny though...I took one small break to get my laundry, and when I'd returned, it was over!!! I never did find out whether she ended up with Yves or Tony, or by herself! Or maybe the doorman???
That's an excuse to see it again!

Replies:
Subject: Thrill of a Romance - 1945

Author:
Judi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:09:08 03/04/07 Sun

Dad and I watched this one today, and I LOVE it, and recommend it...if you are in a LIGHT mood, and just feel like something fun. Danish Opera singer Lauritz Melchior was awesome in this...he had an amazing voice with a deep, rich timbre. I'm not nuts about Van Johnson, but, I always enjoy this film if I'm not thinking too deeply. ;)
Here is a link to a TCM page about it:

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article.jsp?cid=118154&mainArticleId=139147

Replies:
Subject: Anything goes....sort of..

Author:
Judith
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:55:39 05/08/07 Tue

Well, I've thought about the forum, very inactive since I've been back, and pondered, should keep it, or not. This has been a fond part of me, and the great people therein, have as well...and I don't feel I want to completely let it go. So I'll keep the space, put a homey (hopefully not homely) sign up, and if anyone wants to drop in, that's wonderful! It doesn't have to be about movies, but I'll probably still post some things about them, from time to time, and hope you will, as well.

Replies:
Subject: OMG!

Author:
Miss Julie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:43:45 02/26/07 Mon

The forum is polluted! Grrrr! I would clean it up if I could!

Replies:
Subject: Great Forum About Movies and Entertainment

Author:
James (Feeling good but tired)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:48:02 05/13/07 Sun

Hello,
I am here again to let you all know that this is a great forum to discuss all things movies/entertainment.

Let's keep this shining like a diamond.

Replies:
Subject: Tom Poston dies....

Author:
Judith
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:54:59 05/01/07 Tue

Gosh, I always liked that goofy guy! As a child, he seemed like an affable (if not so smart!) uncle, in the overalls and all. He was one of the Steve Allen gang...and what a gang they were!!

Subject: Re: Skyscraper Souls

Author:
James (Happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:38:21 04/29/07 Sun

Conrad,

I am sure if you hunt around you can find the film for less then 45 bucks.

There has to be one good soul who can lend you a hand in obtaining it.

Replies:
Subject: Liberal and Conservative Films

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:30:44 03/23/07 Fri

It seems I srirred up some controversy with my last post, so figured why not have some fun with it? In this post I'm going to ask people to list what they think are the best examples of "liberal" and "conservative" films.

Before we start listing however, I'd like to set some perimeters. When we usually hear people complain that such-and-such films are "liberal" or "conservative" they're usually just picking films at random that offend them in some way or another. (And it normally refers to the level of sex or violence in movies.) However, a film with a lot of sex in it doesn't automatically make it "liberal" anymore than a lot of gunplay makes it "conservative." Movie makers are out for money, and will put out whatever sells tickets. So I would ask that folks list only those films which take a direct political stand on either side of the spectrum.

And to clarify this, let me give you my views on what I feel are the best basics of being either a liberal or conservative:

Liberals, by-and-large, believe in the sanctity of individuals to live life as they please, so long as they don't break the law or force their views down some else's throat. (An old liberal saying from the fifties: "A person's rights end where the other guy's nose begins.") They believe authority has its place but within certain boundries; while not opposed to the military they don't think it should be used in anything other than direct defense. Feel that the federal government should step in to defend civil rights if need be, but believe all authority should be questioned if meed arise. Believe progress, social and political, should be adopted as quickly as possible for the betterment of mankind.

Conservatives also believe in progress but feel it should come slowly and not trample on the traditions of the past; believe that people should "hold fast to that which is good." Believe people as a whole should follow social decorum, and behave with dignity and grace in public, dressing modestly and acting respectfully, so that social standards trump individualism. By and large feel that state's rights trump federal government regulations. Prefer government should be as limited as possible to keep from interfering with individual liberty. Believe in a strong military and an efficient law enforcement system.

Now, there's a lot of leeway in all these concepts; Ike Eisenhower, perhaps the most successful and popular of all the conservative presidents, reduced the military and pumped federal money into the private sector: strategies normally considered "liberal." So everything's not always in a clear cut, obvious mode.

Before I turn everything over to the rest of you, I'm like to point out two controversial films that don't fit in easily with either side of the political spectrum: "High Noon" and "The Fountainhead." Strange as it may seem now, Gary Cooper's "High Noon" was considered a left-wing, liberal movie in its initial release and was the topic of controversy. I'll leave it up to others to figure out why. "The Fountainhead" was based on a novel by Ayn Rand, and is founded on her polital ideology called "Objectivism." Many people confuse her with "conservatism," but in reality consirvatives have always been her harshest critics. Her views on individualism are too broad to fit in with conservatism, and also Objectivism actively endorses athiesm, while most conservatives are highly religous.

Okay; so much for lectures! Now see if you folks can list films based on this criteria.

Replies:
Subject: Academy Awards--are popular films ignored?

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:00:19 03/11/07 Sun

The spam creeps are back again so I'm doing a lengthy post to counter act their slimy activities. Long as I'm at it thought I'd stir up a little controversy. I happened to notice that in the old days most of the films that won Academy Awards were also popular films--fan favorites. Just look at some winners in the past: "The Greatest Show on Earth," "Gigi," "Around the World in Eighty Days," "The Sound of Music," etc. These and many more, even the low-budget "Marty," were all films that reflected popular tastes. Yet somewhere along the line popular films starting getting less and less attention.

I think this trend started with the rise of the special effects-summer blockbuster movies in the late 1970s. Increasingly Academy voters seemed reluctant to nominate movies that suited popular tastes; they'd hand over Special Effects awards easy enough, but not the grand prize, even if the movies were the most influential films of theit times. "Jaws," "Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" all had to settle for minor-league technical awards when they were clearly the films that not only reflected the tastes of the average movie goer, but the course of popular films to come. Instead films that were quickly forgotten like "Out of Africa" tended to win the Best Picture Award. The exceptions to this were the "Lord of the Rings" movies, but I believe that's because they were just too huge for the Academy to ignore.

A local radio announcer here in Detroit commented that younger people generally ignore the Academy Awards today because they don't "celebrate" the films young folks--who are the major movie audience--like to see, and I think that's true. Of course, that would mean films like "Terminator 2" would have to be nominated for the young audience to return to watching the Awards, the ratings of which have been slipping every year. But I'll be honest--I don't know a single person who's seen "The Queen," "The Last King of Scotland," "Letters from Iwo Jima" or other similar films. Most people I know never even heard of half the movies nominated this year. The one that people I knew did go see--"Happy Feet"--rightly won its Oscar for best animated feature. But far as I know, most young people I know waited for the major films to be released to DVD before they took a look at them, including "The Departed." The switch to home video as the major source of entertainment for the average person may also be a factor in this gap between what the Academy likes and what the regular movie-goer prefers; but that's a topic unto itself.

So what does everyone here think about this?

Replies:
Subject: many reviews

Author:
many reviews (Moscow)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:37:38 03/22/07 Thu

So interesting site, thanks! The site very professional!

Subject: Favourite political film...

Author:
Miss Julie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:54:23 02/27/07 Tue

Mine has to be Mr. Smith Goes to Washington! Stewart was so intense in this! Loved it!

Replies:
Subject: Oh and PS:

Author:
Miss Julie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:40:43 02/28/07 Wed

I'll be doing a disappearing act for about 3 weeks exactly 1 week from today. Going on 2 cruises (back to back) to the Caribbean. I'll sign up for some Internet time and may check the forum now and again. I wanted to let Conrad know that I'll be looking for his Old Romance novel at B&N's when I'm in Fort Lauderdale -- I've placed a sticky note in my wallet to remind myself. I'll read it during my quiet time on the ship:)

Replies:
Subject: Favourite Western...

Author:
Miss Julie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:55:38 02/27/07 Tue

???hmmm, I have to think about this one...

Replies:
Subject: Hi Guys!

Author:
Judi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:09:10 02/28/07 Wed

Let me apologize for having been gone so long...and letting the spammers have a field day (I've reported them all!) I did have a wonderful time when Laura was here, and then the boom fell, and both dad and I became ill with different things...so anytime I had some energy, I helped him as best I could. Still with some kind of infection that has me extremely weak (have had night sweats for 2 months!!) but, well, I was considering possibly giving up the forum, as I wasn't doing right by it. However, it has been my special place to come and be with friends and express, create...so I'll give myself a few more days to see how I feel.
Oh, btw, I did FINALLY get that new PC I've needed for eons, yea!
Anyways...I veel tdry too bee zee host again, a bedder von! Ooh, that Hungarian spirit took over again...but I am sooo glad that you guys have kept it alive with your posts!! Thank you!!

Replies:
Subject: Nicole Kidman teenage movies on DVD

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:50:28 01/07/07 Sun

If anyone's interested in the early film career of movie star Nicole Kidman, some of the teenage films she made in her native Australia are circulating through the Dollar DVD markets these days. The one most available is "BMX Bandits" from 1983, a very agreeable little movie starring Nicole as a teen who, along with two friends, foil some bumbling bank robbers. Another is "Night Master," which I haven't bought yet but have seen on display in dollar stores. This 1987 teen martial arts movie apparently features Kidman as a Ninja in training! (I'll have to see it to believe it.)

Replies:
Subject: Where is our Board Mistress???

Author:
Miss Julie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:10:53 01/08/07 Mon

Must be very BUSY enjoying her daughter's visit!!! { Hope you are okay, Judi! }

Replies:
Subject: The 300 Spartans

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:52:46 01/24/07 Wed

I just saw a trailer for an upcoming movie, "300" which is about a famous battle in ancient Greek history. I wasn't at all impressed by the trailer; it looks more like the advertisement for a video game (and I'm betting there will be one to go along with the movie). However, there was an earlier movie about the same historical events made many years ago.

It's called "The 300 Spartans" starring Richard Egan, and was released in 1962. I taped it off television some time ago. Egan, in fact, was the only recognizable star in the film. You might remember him from "Love Me Tender" where he played Elvis Presley's brother. He was also in numerous other films in the 1950s.

Based on historical events, the film tells about the battle of Thermopylae, in which a small band of Spartan soldiers held off the entire Persian army for days, buying time for the Greek navy under Athens to get itself together. There's a line in the film that sounds pure Hollywood, but is taken directly from historical records: A bad guy boasts to the Greek leader that the Persian army's arrows will "blot out the sun." To which tyhe Spartan general replies: "Then we shall fight in the shade."

The battle scenes are the best part of the movie, and it's cool seeing how the Greeks use trickery to outwit their opponents. However, there's also a lot of chit-chat for the first part of the film, and you have to wait awhile before getting to the "good stuff." But when the action kicks in, it's really good.

Richard Egan is something of an enigma. He was clearly intended by Hollywood producers to be a leading man, and was placed in prestige pictures like "The View from Pompey's Head" (1955) but his quiet, "strong but silent-type" style never really caught on with audiences. In "The 300 Spartans" his restraint worked well as the stoic Greek military commander.

Replies:
Subject: Academy Awards

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:53:51 01/25/07 Thu

With all the hoopla for the upcoming Academy Awards, I thought it's worth remembering that winning an Oscar is no guaruntee of future success. While some performers have had their careers improve after winning an award, far more Academy Award winners have subsequently dropped into obscurity.

There's no more glaring an example than poor Cliff Robertson, who won an Oscar for "Charly" in 1968 and whose career went straight downhill after that. Recently I rented a dreadful low-budget horror movie starring him, "The Thirteenth Child" playing an old man who lives in the backwoods and controls a monster he calls "Bruno." I couldn't believe my eyes watching him trying to act like a mad scientist in this pathetic cheapie (which also featured a couple of other washed up former stars). I prefer to remember Robertson as the dashing star of "PT 109" in which he played John Kennedy. This generation will probably best remember him for one of his few good roles in recent years, Uncle Ben in "Spiderman."

Dorothy Malone is another example, whose career after winning an Academy Award as Best Supporting Actress in 1956 roughly resembled Robertson's career. In "Written on the Wind" she set the stage for all movie "bad girls" to come in a dynamite performance as the wild-living daughter of a Texas oil millionaire. For the next generation of actresses her sly smirk, arrogant tilt of the chin and conniving eyes would be imitated in film after film.

But after this triumph her career lost momentum and in no time at all she was swallowed up by television, in particular the 1960s show "Peyton Place." Her last movie performance was a supporting role in the controversial "Basic Instinct," after which she retired from acting.

F. Murray Abraham was unknown before winning the Best Actor award for "Amadeus" and has been even more unknown ever since, though he continues to work in films to this day.

In 1982, Ben Kingsley won Best Actor for "Gandhi" and has since settled into playing supporting roles, sometimes as villians, like the mad scientist in "Thunderbirds." Though in 1992 he had a strong role as a chess instructor in a well-loved children's film, "Searching for Bobby Fisher." Anyone who has raised kids in the 1990s (like myself) remembers this quiet little movie very well, which was something of a "sleeper" hit in its day. Children of this generation probably remember Kingsley more for his performance in this movie than his Academy Award performance.

Replies:
Subject: Goodbye 2006...HELLO 2007...

Author:
Miss Julie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:36:06 12/31/06 Sun

To EVERYONE on this board...may it be a year of good health, happiness, bountiful wealth would be welcome, too, and peace on earth!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!! See you next year:)

Replies:
Subject: Not yet "vintage"...but fun films...

Author:
Miss Julie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:13:01 01/11/07 Thu

Every night this week, I've been putting in a romance film from our collection and watching it in bed...LOL...my poor hubby! I've selected a few which received 2 thumbs up from Ebert & Roeper, and started a pile on the floor infront of the TV...so, each night at 11:00, in it goes!!! Here's 4 that we watched so far...with my "Loved it" ratings (3 being I "super" loved it! LOL!)

1. Under the Tuscan Sun -- Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!
2. View From the Top -- Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!
3. Bruce Almighty -- Loved it! Loved it!
4. Just Like Heaven -- Loved it! Loved it!

Tonight's film: Just Married (rating to follow).

Replies:
Subject: Christmas/holiday movies

Author:
Judith
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:03:12 12/14/06 Thu

Anyone watching any?? i've seen a few, but besides Christmas in Connecticut, nothing too great. Will have to watch the Thin Man sometime soon....to see Nick Charles slingshot the Christmas tree, through the viewfinder of his slippers, and Nora lounge about the hotel in her new full-length fur coat!

Replies:
Subject: Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

Author:
Judi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:59:35 11/22/06 Wed

Well, Miss Julie is in a warm clime, and i'll have my nose in a book, at least part of the day. The family's scattering here 'n' there, as we weren't up to having the traditional feast and all the company. it's a huge relief for me, having Addison's and all. We DlD buy a pumpkin pie, and that brandy pumpkin spice cake, so sis Lorrie, and maybe her daughters, will come by late. AND, perhaps my ex-hubby will stop by, not sure. For we in the N.East, it'll be WET and windy! Hence the books. if anyone stops by, let me know what you're up to...and a very happy day, to all!

Replies:
Subject: Films With the Same Name

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:49:39 12/14/06 Thu

A week ago I was at the video store when I saw "The Fog" on a shelf and figured I hadn't seen it for awhile, so went ahead and rented it. Turned out it wasn't the original "Fog" but a remake I didn't know existed.

Some time ago I wrote a post on "fraudulent films" regrading when producers try to pass weak imitation films off as "the real thing" by giving their mediocre product the same name as popular films. However, this isn't always intentional. Some films have been re-made so often it's not always clear which is the original version, or even the most popular version. Thought I'd post about this here, so film lovers would be aware the film they rent may not be the exact film they want.

This being the Christmas season, it's worthwhile knowing there's three different versions of "Miracle on 34th Street"
on video, though I think the 1973 version with Sebastian Cabot went out of print. Of the two other versions, I don't think anyone can touch the 1947 Edmund Gwen movie, though I've heard the 1994 remake wasn't bad at all.

The all time remake champ has to be "Pride and Prejudice." Far as I know, there have been at least eight versions of the popular romantic book by Jane Austin. There's even been a "fraudulent film" called "Pride and Extreme Prejudice" from 1990, an action thriller that has nothing to do with the novel. I've not seen a single version of the novel myself, so I'd just advise fans of the book to check the video back-cover to see if matches the movie you prefer.

Along the same lines, "Great Expectations," "The Count of Monte Cristo," "Prisoner of Zenda," "Oliver Twist" and "Treasure Island" have all been filmed more than once with different actors. There's even been a version of "Great Expectations" set in New York during the 1990s!

There are now four different versions of "War of the Worlds" on DVD, all made by different people. The two most popular are the Gene Barry 1953 movie and the Tom Cruise 2005 remake. Two other movies based on the book were released straight to DVD in 2005, both featuring tinker toy special effects.

There's two different versions of "Lord of the Rings" on DVD; the super Peter Jackson trilogy, and the low budget animated one-film-only fiasco released to theaters in 1978. The seventies movie ends at the battle of Helm's Deep and disappointed fans of the book and movie goers alike.

Now get this: There's not one but three different versions of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" on DVD now. The spectacular Disney version released in 2005 is the most well known, but there was an animated feature done in 1979 and a television version done for BBC in 1988, as part of a mini series that enacted all of the "Chronicles of Narnia" books. I saw parts of the mini-series when it was shown on the Disney Channeled back in the late eighties. It's done on video tape, with people in costumes, the way they would in a stage play. This version has been released in sevearl parts to DVD and is usually found in the TV Show section of video stores.

There are three different versions also of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," each taking place in different decades. The one from 1956 is the most well known, but there's a fandom for the Leonard Nimoy 1976 remake. There's also a little-known 1993 reamke simply titiled "Body Snatchers" set on an Army base.

When dealing with remakes, I guess the best bet as always is "let the buyer beware," and read the back cover--which even I don't always do, but it's still a good practice. On the other hand, if you want to see how other versions handle your favorite movie, it's educational to check out the different versions.

Subject: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Author:
Care
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:58:17 10/31/06 Tue

Hey Jude - are those sconces??? Hehehe............... Anyway, I just love that pic of Kim Novak! Love that movie and haven't seen it in a loooong time!

Replies:
Subject: Font

Author:
Judith
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:22:07 10/29/06 Sun

How's this black font for readability? Better than white? i also tried BLOOD RED, but was too dusky on my old-timey screen!

Replies:
Subject: Holidays!

Author:
Judi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:53:48 11/14/06 Tue

Tis the season to be homey! Anyone have a fave Thanksgivingish/homey/holidayish movie? Hehe, l went crazy tonight, and ordered a Pumpkin Spice cake (from Vermont Country Store) made with cream cheese, and drenched with Brandy! i was ordering something practical, when it jumped out at me...

Replies:
Subject: COOL!!!

Author:
Miss Julie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:11:42 11/02/06 Thu

I love what you've done in here! You have truly captured the meaning of Halloween! Cool background! Sorry, I missed coming here most of October...just been so busy! Hey, but the festive season is my favourite and I look forward to seeing all of the Christmas classics! I was in the mood for one just the other day, and what best way to spend a cold afternoon all cuddled up to The Shop Around the Corner:) I still don't get why it was set in Budapest though. Why all that way when we have tons of snow in Canada! LOL! ~*cheers*~

Replies:
Subject: Dollar Store Delights for Halloween

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:39:12 10/16/06 Mon

For those of you who live where the Dollar Tree chain stores are around, each year in October they put out special Halloween DVDs for a dollar each, featuring classic or Grade-B scary films, two movies each disk.

Since I've seen most of these movies, figured I'd give you a review of them so you'd know what you're buying for a buck.

1. "King of the Zombies"(1941) and "Revolt of the Zombies" (1936) The first one is a delightful gem, in which a Nazi scientist hypnotises just about everyone on a small island, making them his "zombie" slaves. It's also one of the few B-movies of that era to receive an Academy Award nomination, this one for best musical score. The real star of the show, however, is African-American comic Mantan Moreland, a black "Bob Hope," who is best known as playing Charlie Chan's chauffer in some films. He's in just about every scene and his hilarious quips and one-liners keep the film's pace lively.

In sharp contrast, the second feature on this disk, "Revolt of the Zombies," is one of the most slow moving, badly acted horror films of the 1930s. The strange plot (zombies in Cambodia?) doesn't help matters.

2. "Vampire Bat" (1932)and "Devil Bat" (1942) The first film is genuinely scary, and carries a message against superstition and mob violence. A series of vampire-like murders strikes a small European village, and the superstitious townspeople are quick to blame the village idiot, played by "Dracula" veteran Dwight "Renfield" Fry. Exceptionally good cast includes Melvyn Douglas, Fay Wray, and Lionel Atwill.

"Devil Bat" stars Bela Lugosi as a scientist who makes bats grow to the size of dogs and sends them flying out to kill his enemies. As long as you don't expect anything gruesome, it's a fun movie. Bela is always a delight to watch. And those big flying bats are kind of cool.

3. "The Screaming Skull" (1958) and "Tormented" (1960)--Two films dealing with ghosts. "Screaming" has some chills, though its low budget really shows when the film tries to turn on the special effects, which are very crude and unconvincing. "Tormented" has superior special effects, and a more agressive plotline. Richard Carlson (most famous as the scientist in "Creature from the Black Lagoon") plays a jazz musician haunted by the ghost of his old girlfriend.

4. "Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter" (1966) and "The Monster Maker" (1944) The first is a film so ridiculous it's hard to believe the actors took it seriously. Accidentally funny. "Monster Maker" stars J. Carrol Naish as a scientist who injects a pianist with a disease that distorts his face. A well-made movie, but the mean scientist is such a jerk, he might turn some viewers off.

5. Casper the Ghosts and Friends--Priceless collection of color cartoons from the 1940s and 1950s, featuring Casper, Popeye and other cartoon figures in Halloween themes. Features the cartoon that introduced Casper, naturally named "The Friendly Ghost," and the best of his early cartoons. Also included are some Superman cartoons from the 1940s, though none of them have anything to do with Halloween. Still, the most famous of the early Superman cartoons, "Mechanical Monsters," is included in the selection.

Replies:
Subject: Rent (2005) and Eighties Movies

Author:
Conrad, Author "Old School Romance" from Vintage Romance Publishing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:25:31 11/03/06 Fri

Now that the Halloween season is over, thought I'd bring up a movie from last year I saw on DVD, "Rent," based on a popular stage musical. I loved the beautiful songs and music; people should know, though, that it contains some material that is very adult in content, though handled with good taste and sensitivity.

But what struck me most about the film is that it is further evidence of the popularity of the 1980s. This is a cultural phenomena I believe is unparralled in recent history. I've never seen anything like it.

The closest equivilent to this is nostalgia for the 1950s, which in my generation was the decade most people remembered most fondly. But the difference was, when the fifties were over, they were over. Occasional fifties revivals were exclusively in entertainment, usually through films or costume contests. The eighties, however, just plain refuse to go away.

There are radio stations across the country that play nothing but eighties music. Hundreds of web pages are dedicated to the eighties. Movies set in the eighties (like "Rent" or "The Wedding Singer") are produced every year. And most of all, whenever they need sales to go up, the fashion industry "revives" eighties fashion. Anyone see that article on AOL news a few weeks ago how "the Eighties have returned" in fashion? I thought, "Right, for about the hundreth time." No one wears 1950s poodle skirts or peg pants anymore, except in costume parties, but eighties fashions are revived for regular wear over and over again.

I have been puzzled by this, because the eighties were actually a pretty tough decade, when money was tight. "Rent" deals with this, and yet also makes even that poverty look glamorous and appealing. I'm convinced it was the movies of that decade that have fueld eighties nostalgia. Most of them were photographed in bright, vibrant colors, with music-powered soundtracks, and featuring extrodinarily good looking young people having a good time, with lots of money to spend.

"Footloose," "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," "Pretty in Pink," "Sixteen Candles" all come readily to mind. Films and TV shows of the decade also tend to show people living a relaxed lifestyle in which everone is easy going. Even the gritty shows of the time, like "Miami Vice," were tinged with a aglamorous atmosphere.

What do you think? And what are your favorite eighties movies?

Replies:
Subject: Flags of Our Fathers

Author:
Miss Julie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:33:19 11/06/06 Mon

Last month, my hubby took me to a private screening of this movie, as he was doing a review for our local newspaper. Just thought I would share what he thought of the movie.

Replies:
Subject: UGH! I hate spams!

Author:
Miss Julie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:46:37 11/06/06 Mon

Hi Judi~ Did you know that you can now enable CAPTCHAS on posts? This will alleviate spams from posting (or at least make it harder for them to post). Go to "Advance User Options" -- click on .NEW CAPTCHAS OPTIONS -- and "enable" captchas on posts. By doing so, posters will have to do one extra step to post...but we don't mind if it will deter garbage from being posted.

Replies:
Subject: Scream Queens

Author:
Conrad, author "Old School Romance" from Vintage Romance Publishing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:01:54 10/30/06 Mon

Scary movies wouldn't be so popular if not for leading ladies best known for screaming their heads off while menaced by monsters. Indeed, several actresses gained fame--indeed, in most cases their only fame, as "scream queens."

The first, and perhaps the greatest of these, was the late Fay Wray of "King Kong." What most people don't know was that this Canadian-born actress actually had a long and varied career both before and after "King Kong" and the other monster movies she starred in. However, her scary films are the only ones that have remained in consistent circulation through the years and thus those are the only ones most people have ever seen.

She became a star as the leading lady of one of the great classics of the silent screen, "The Wedding March" (1928) and for years was in constant demand, with leading men like Gary Cooper, Ronald Coleman and others. With the advent of sound, in the early 1930s she was type-cast in numerous horror films, perhaps because she had such a good scream. Most of these became classics, however, and not just "King Kong": Doctor X (1932), The Most Dangerous Game (1932), Vampire Bat (1933), Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933), and The Evil Mind (1934).

However, it's a myth that her career was finished after "King Kong." Wray continued to land leading lady roles in films all the way up to the 1940s, with titles like "They Met in a Taxi" and "Murder in Greenwich Village," but the majority of them have gone out of print and are completely forgotten. From the fifties on she acted primarily in television, concluding her career in a 1980 Henry Fonda movie, "Gideon's Trumpet." Peter Jackson had her set up for a cameo appearance in his new "King Kong" but she died before it was completed.

Another great "scream queen" was Evelyn Ankers, best known as the leading lady in "The Wolf Man" (1941) and subsequently rushed through a host of horror thrillers by Universal Studios. She quit the movie business on her own, only occasionally doing TV spots, after the 1940s, perhaps because of a long standing dislike of her frequent co-star, Lon Chaney.

In the 1950s, Allison Hayes is an otherwise obscure actress who is only known for her horror and science fiction roles. Curiously, she wasn't just a screamer, but also a "bad girl" in her scary films, and frequently the movie's villianess. Her most popular film still remains "The Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman" (1958).

The one "scream queen" who went on to super-stardom is of course Jamie Lee Curtis. After working her way through television guest roles, she hit it big in 1978 with "Halloween," and the Hollywood machine immediately rushed her through a host of horror pictures: "The Fog," "Prom Night," "Terror Train," "Roadgames," and of course "Halloween 2". In subsequent years she successfully broke out of this rut with high class films like "A Fish Called Wanda," "True Lies," "Freaky Friday," etc. However, every now and then she does a horror picture, still screaming along in "Virus" or Halloween H2O."

Replies:
Subject: Return of the Vampire (1943)

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:38:07 11/01/06 Wed

Though Bela Lugosi is enshrined in our memories as king of movie vampires, he actually did very few vampire films in his career. In fact, he technically only played Dracula twice--in the original film and in "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein."

In a very good film where he played a vampire other than Dracula, he had one of his best roles: "Return of the Vampire" (1943) has been on DVD from Columbia-Tristar for years and if you find it, buy it. It's a lively and atmosphereic film that is highly entertainging. It's also one of the few monster movies that brings World War 2 directly into the plot. Lugosi plays a vampire named "Armand Tesla," (though for all intents and purposes he may as well be Dracula in disguise) who menaces London society during the Blitz. An intriguing element of this film is the werewolf (played by Matt Willis) who is the vampire's servant.

What always gets me about this movie is the very, very unusual ending, in which the war itself (in particular an airplane-dropped bomb) intrudes on the "monsterific" goings on. Without giving it away, it's shot on an outdoor set of a ruined building--and it's shot in a "realistic" manner, in sharp contrast to the studio-bound, gothic manner used for the rest of the film. (Watching it, I often wonder if they used some sort of hand-held camera.) While only vaguely "graphic," it must have been fairly strong stuff for 1943. I don't know what went on in the director's mind while shooting this extraordinary sequence, but I get the impression that he was trying to say, "The war's real and more frightening than any movie monster."

In any case, an excellent movie and well worth your time.

Subject: Zombies

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:59:58 10/29/06 Sun

Since no one else is posting here this Halloween, figure I'd have some fun and put up some posts on the history of movie monsters, beginning with our old buddies the Zombies.

Today, zombies are among the most popular movie creatures through the popularity of George Romero's films, starting with "Night of the Living Dead." In such films, zombies are portrayed as dead people who come back to life.

That is the traditional folklore of what a zombie is, but in the old movies, film makers were reluctant to use this idea. In the earliest horror films about zombies, a natural explanation was always given for their condition.

In the first zombie movie, "White Zombie" (1932) Bela Lugosi plays a plantation owner in Haiti who uses a powerful drug to bring people under his control. In one chilling sequence, he taunts a victim who is slowly turning into a zombie from the drug's effects.

"Revolt of the Zombies" (1936) featured a young Dean Jagger as a man who turns the whole population of a Cambodian city into his personal slaves through mental telepathy.

All the zombies in "King of the Zombies" (1941)are actually normal men under the hypnotic control of a Nazi scientist.

Finally, "I Walked With a Zombie" (1943) is about a woman who's under some sort of psychological or physical condition that she got from a jungle fever.

It wasn't until "Revenge of the Zombies" (also 1943) that the zombies were portrayed as honest-to-goodness corpses brought back to life, this time through the work of yet another Nazi scientist, played by John Carradine.

Films after that continued in this tradition, such as "Zomies of Mora Taru" (1957) where the dead crew of a shipwreck (and anyone else they happen to kill) have becoming the walking dead, forever guarding a priceless treasure.

It wasn't till "Night of the Living Dead" (1968) however that the added touch of cannibalism was placed into the Zombie mythology, with the living dead eating the living.

There have been several "official" sequels to "Night of the Living Dead," all directed by George Romero. There's also been been a curious "unofficial" series of sequels done by other directors, starting with "Return of the Living Dead" (1985). These films, most made straight to video, introduced the now-common cliche that Zombies prefer human brains as their chief source of food. An Australian film, "Undead" (2003) spoofs this concept.

So you see how one form of monster has evolved in the movies. Tomorrow I'm going to take on another movie monster.

Replies:
Subject: TCM, Wednesdays at 8:00, in October

Author:
Judi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:44:26 10/04/06 Wed

if anyone here is an architecture junkie like i am, TCM is doing 'Architecture in Film', on the time 'n' dates above.

Replies:
Subject: CHRISTMAS FILM

Author:
Katherine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:30:33 09/29/06 Fri

Hello,

This is a longshot, but I hope some film buff may be able to help me.

Several years ago one Christmas, we recall watching an old black and white film about a man who was in an asylum/mental institution and eventually got out to spend Christmas with his family.

We unfortunately, do not recall much else about the film other than his children looking in an old fashioned toy shop window at the toys they would like for Christmas but did not think they would ever have.

We think he turned up at Christmas surprising his family and all living happily ever after of course.

We would love to find out the name of this film and who was in it and if it is available - but we have not a clue what it was called.

Can anybody help!

Thanks

Replies:
Subject: Thunder's gone....and l'm astounded..............!

Author:
Judi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:20:05 10/04/06 Wed

Have any of you here, heard of Arthur Freed? Well, my learning about him began when i wanted to find out more about the very old-timey song in MMlSLouis, done in duet by the mother and father (Leon Ames and ??) Though the tune is sooo shmaltzy, i tell ya, it warms my heart! My mom and dad harmonized, and many a late-night car ride would end with we kids droopy-eyed in the back seat, while they sleepily crooned the old songs....so the gentle duet instantly soothes and pulls at the heart! Anyway, i googled the song, and find out that a man named Arthur Freed not only wrote the lyrics, but sings the tune himself, in place of Ames...a nice, sentimental voice, i think. So i googled Freed, and my God....i urge you all to view his songwriting and lyrics list on lMDB...holy moly, i can't imagine how he had the time to write so many, and so many familiar tunes, at that (he wrote lyrics to Singin' in the Rain!) as well as produce! Anyway, maybe i'm the only one who hadn't heard of him, but seeing as he was so prolific, i don't see how he slipped by me, all these years! Humm....

Subject: Bogart plays Mad Scientist--The Return of Dr.X

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:20:04 10/03/06 Tue

Checking the web, I see to my delight that one of Humphrey Bogart's most rare films, "The Return of Dr. X", made in 1939, is being shown this weekend, Oct. 7 at 3:30 AM on Turner Classic Movies. I'd advise any collectors out there to set your recorders for it. This is the only full-fledged horror film Bogey starred in.

Dr.X stands for Dr. Xavier, a mad scientist (played by Bogart) who does unsuccessful blood experiments on people. It's supposed to be a sequel to "Dr. X" a monster movie from 1932 starring Fay Wray just before her "King Kong" days. The original "Dr. X" was one of the first horror films released in color, and featured a scientist who turned himself into a monster by smearing his face with a goo he called "synthetic flesh." The sequence where he makes the transformation is one of the most frightening in older horror films.

I haven't seen the sequel in at least thirty years, but as I recall it, "Return of Dr. X" is frankly lackluster compared to the first movie, and unlike the first, contains no spectacular special effects sequence. Bogart seems very uncomfortable and displays no enthusiasm at all for his role. In fact, it's just a walk-through--perhaps the worst performance of his career. Still, for collectors like myself it's worth recording for historical reference, especially as it is so rare. I believe it's only been on DVD once, but it's very hard to find.

It's the "scary movie" time of year, and what better way to start the season than a rare old horror film? And as the super-fan of scary films here, I wanted to be the first to make a scary movie post.

Replies:
Subject: Ed Grimly

Author:
Eve (pretty content)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:03:28 09/22/06 Fri

Hi. Just wondered if anyone here can give me a link where I can view Martin Short doing Ed Grimly? I was on a search and it brought me here. My 19 year odl likes Martin Short, but has never seen his Ed Grimly--- can you imagine???

Also, I love old movies, so I'll probably be back if that's okay. In fact, I have another question---

There is and old black and white (I think it was) with Loretta Young where her husband was bed-ridden and he was a real idiot. He somehow planned his own death so that she would be the one accused of murder. Right before he shoots himself he tells her that the letter he just mad her send was to hid lawyer saying that she was plotting to kill him. Anyway, the rest of the movie is very suspenseful (Possibly a Hitchcock movie?) she is frantic to get the letter before it reaches the lawyer. It was a great movie. Now does anyone have any idea what it was called? That's the problem, I can't find anyone who's ever seen it, and I'd love to see it again.

Replies:
Subject: Glenn Ford

Author:
Judi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:26:29 09/21/06 Thu

Conrad spoke about Glenn, and i hadn't had a chance to comment....but wanted to put this great shot up, as he was a very cool actor, and will be missed. Two of my personal favourites that he starred in, are Gilda, and A Stolen Life....two awesome ones!! What a cutey!

Replies:
Subject: A message from Judi

Author:
Carolee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:49:59 09/04/06 Mon

Hi to everyone from Judi! She wanted me to tell you that she dropped her laptop and unfortunately, it's broken!! In case you've been wondering why you haven't heard from her - now you know. She is hoping to have it fixed soon. She's devastated over the death of "The Crocodile Hunter". Such a shock!

Well, if Judi gets over here sometime soon, I'm sure she'll drop all of you a line!

Replies:
Subject: Just a list

Author:
Ang
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:31:32 08/20/06 Sun

My friend and I have been working on a list of the top 20 greatest movies... in our opinion, of course. So here is what we came up with, in no particular order because I think that would just be tooo difficult. Feel free to add, subtract, comment or maybe go to the video store and rent!

1 Sunset Boulevard
2 Psycho
3 All About Eve
4 Jaws
5 The Godfather
6 Goodfellas
7 12 Angry Men
8 Casablanca
9 The Third Man
10 Modern Times
11 Amadeus
12 The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
13 The Seventh Seal
14 8 1/2
15 Chinatown
16 A Streecar Named Desire
17. Citizen Kane
18. The Exorcist
19. Underground
20. Seven Samurai

Replies:
Subject: Gulliver's Travels

Author:
Conrad V. Sucatre, author "Old School Romance"
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:32:08 09/17/06 Sun

This week I finally finished my second book, a Futuristic romance novel, "Gulliver" and have sent it to my proofreader. (For those who don't know, sci-fi romances are designated "Futuristics" by publishers.) Because my new book is inspired by "Gulliver's Travels," I thought I'd take a look here on the forumn at all the movie versions of Jonathan Swift's famous book.

Most people are only familiar with the first part of the book, which contains the story of how a shipwrecked English sailor (a ship's doctor) is washed ashore on the island of Lilliput, where people are six inches tall, and becomes involved in their war with the neighboring island of Blefusco. This is because abbreviated versions of this story were issued as a children's book in the past. Actually, this adventure is only one of many adventures as Gulliver travels to several different fanciful countries, including the flying city of Laputa and another land where intelligent horses rule over humans

The only movie to film the whole story was a delightful made-for-TV version done in 1996 starring Ted Danson as Gulliver. (Widely available on video, and worth a look.)

Other than that most movies only filmed the Lilliput adventure. Best known of these adaptations was the 1939 feature length cartoon "Gulliver's Travels" from Paramont, which is widely available now through one dollar DVDs dols at dollar stores. It's a pretty movie, with nice animation, released as an rival to Disney, but oriented strictly for kids. Which is okay, because younger children will like it.

Richard Harris starred as Gulliver in a 1977 version I saw on the Disney channel many years ago. As I remember it, the inferior special effects weren't convincing.

Special effects master Ray Harryhausen did his own version in 1960, titled "The Three Worlds of Gulliver," this one showing the Lilliput adventure and also the Brobdingnag adventure, where Gulliver goes to an island where the inhabitants are giants. (Kerwin Matthews plays Gulliver in this one.)

Getting off topic, I wish Judi well and look forward to her return to our forumn.

Replies:
Subject: Lets do the men now!!!!!!!!!

Author:
Ang
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:18:30 08/23/06 Wed

I've always been partial to Joseph Cotten. I love his voice for some reason and he's a handsome guy to boot!

Here he is in Gaslight (on the right):

Monty Clift was so so handsome, so talented, and so tragic:

Replies:
Subject: Vote...

Author:
Ang
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:39:06 08/15/06 Tue

Let's pick our favorites for most beautiful classic film actress...
I have two so far that I think are gaugeous!!!

Grace Kelly

and Audrey Hepburn

Replies:
Subject: POP QUlZ!

Author:
Judi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:55 08/19/06 Sat

Just because....What's the breed of cat who sits above, and watches over the forum? Typical French cat...lace curtains, milk bottles, and the......?

Replies:
Subject: Lana Turner

Author:
Miss Julie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:24:27 08/14/06 Mon

I just spent the last 3.5 hours watching 2 of my fave LT films -- both tearjerkers! The court scene in the later part of Madame X had me actually SOBBING -- complete with hiccups and sniffing and I even had to blow my nose a few times! Never mind that, near the end, when she is about to die as she was left alone with her lawyer who was really her son...well...there...I totally lost it! Ahhh, it's been a loooong time since I've had a good cry! LOL! And don't even get me started with Imitation Of Life...anyone know of a good remedy NOT to wake up with puffy eyes???

Replies:
Subject: Can you help me name a film please?

Author:
Angela Jenkins
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:03:12 08/16/06 Wed

Hi - I saw a black and white film based I think in Victorian times about a man who wanted to marry a woman but her father ( a rich man)paid him off (she was packed and waited and waited for him to arrive to elope with her). The father then dies and the man came on the scene again and wanted to marry her - To get her revenge she led him to believe she wopuld again elope and when he knocked on the door she sat in her rocking chair and stopped the maid from answering the door. The film ended with him pleading to be let in. It was a British film.

Replies:
Subject: What Fantasy Movie Character Are Yoo??

Author:
Judi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:11:35 08/12/06 Sat

What fantasy movie character are you? (images)

You're Virginia from The 10th Kingdom.Virginia felt that she couldn't trust anyone.She is very stubborn and likely to push the peoplethat love her away. She is very caring, though she tends to hide it.
Take this quiz!

Quizilla |
Join

| Make A Quiz | More Quizzes | Grab Code

Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 12[3]4 ]

Images by WOD
I found my pretty web jewels here

Wow! Chock FULL of all things Leslie...informative, gorgeous pictures; what fun!

Load up on popcorn and allow your eyes to adjust to the darkness..
you will find much to feast your eyes on, in this theatre of the stars!

Love the images of Bette on Lynn's site!

Vintage Romance Publishing

Contact Judith

My Care2

Me Space

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.