VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]
Subject: CHRISTMAS FILM

Author:
Katherine
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 02:30:33 09/29/06 Fri

Hello,

This is a longshot, but I hope some film buff may be able to help me.

Several years ago one Christmas, we recall watching an old black and white film about a man who was in an asylum/mental institution and eventually got out to spend Christmas with his family.

We unfortunately, do not recall much else about the film other than his children looking in an old fashioned toy shop window at the toys they would like for Christmas but did not think they would ever have.

We think he turned up at Christmas surprising his family and all living happily ever after of course.

We would love to find out the name of this film and who was in it and if it is available - but we have not a clue what it was called.

Can anybody help!

Thanks

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Film buff that I am, this one has me stumped. However, I've found a website for Obscure Christmas movies and I'm looking through it now. I'll let you know what I find.

Author:
Conrad, author "Old School Romance" from Vintage Romance Publishing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:44:32 09/30/06 Sat

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Over the last hour I've gone through I don't know how many descriptions of old Christmas movies. The closest guess I could have would be an ultr-obscure British film from 1952 called "The Holly and the Ivy," but the film descriptions I've read were somewhat more complex than what you describe. I'll keep my eye open but that's the best I can do for now. There was a lloyd Bridges movie "Silent Night, Lonely Night," where his wife is in an asylum, but I don't think it's the film you're looking for.

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:34:45 09/30/06 Sat

[> Subject: This is a long shot, but I'm wondering if perhaps the movie you're thinking of is "Bill" (1981) a TV movie starring Mickey Rooney as a man who's spent most of his life in a mental institution and is taken in by a family headed by Dennis Quaid. I noted in one description Rooney plays Santa Claus at Christmas in the film, so perhaps this is the one you're thinking of.

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:32:10 10/01/06 Sun

[> [> Subject: You did your homework, Conrad! ;) i have no idea what the film is..

Author:
Judi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:52:55 10/02/06 Mon

[> [> Subject: Except that Bill

Author:
Kimmie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:08:23 10/04/06 Wed

Is not a black and white film.

[> [> [> Subject: The mystery deepens!!! ;] it's frustrating...there is still a Barbara Stanwyck film i haven't found, and speaking of spooky October flicks, this one gave me the creeps. She married s man she didn't know very well, & moved into his famiy estate. All i recall is that she didn't know who to trust, and that there was a spooky wooded area, with a creepy gamekeeper....and some 'thing' that made noises in the basement. Very fragmented....always wanted to see that one again!

Author:
Judi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:32:09 10/04/06 Wed

[> Subject: Sorreee, wish I could help! Trust Conrad for trying!:)

Author:
Miss Julie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:08:57 10/05/06 Thu

[> Subject: True, "Bill" is a color film, but I figured there's always the possibility the TV station they were watching only had a black-and-white print, or a print so old the colors were muted. That happens occasionally at smaller local channels, but of course that's just a guess on my part. Another possibility is it could have been a re-run also of some really old TV special that wouldn't be listed uner films.

Author:
Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:14:20 10/05/06 Thu

[> [> Subject: At least you tried

Author:
Kimmie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:23:14 10/07/06 Sat

Did anyone try searching at imdb using the plot search?

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.