VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:52:52 11/29/09 Sun
Author: Donald F. Valtman
Subject: Re: I was unclear
In reply to: Larry 's message, "I was unclear" on 18:50:00 11/27/09 Fri

We've exchanged opinions re: the $5 Million issue in several previous posts. To summarize: you apparently believe that the Charter Commission is taking "calculated" QBE money that constitutionally belongs to GCPSS and giving it to a charter school. Whereas I believe that QBE funds are politically derived (versus "calculated") and are the property of the state to disperse to public systems to assist their students in meeting various state and/or federal government educational mandates. Let's agree the resolution of this issue will be determined by the Georgia courts.

With respect to the high cost of 'educating' special needs children: this is a KNOWN FACT and that's why I excluded them. (See the 1st bullet in my 11/25/09 post). I also may not have been as clear as I should have been when I used the generic word "handicapped."

You are correct that smaller Georgia non-charter public school systems probably would go belly-up if they had to absorb this cost in their annual budgets. I presume this is what Wilbanks was hinting at when he infamously referred to special needs students as a 'millstone around GCPSS's neck.'

As of March 2009, there were roughly 170 non-charter public school systems in Georgia. Six (6) Metro Atlanta Area systems had K-12 enrollments around 50,000 or more students; around 65 systems had K-12 enrollments less than 2,500 students; the rest had K-12 enrollments averaging around 5,000-7,500 students.
So what constitutes a 'small' non-charter public school system? And what do parents -- who reside in such 'small' school systems -- do with respect to 'educating' their special needs child(ren)? I very much doubt that smaller non-charter public school systems or the state simply wash their hands of financially assisting in the education of these special needs children. Therefore, I have to believe that charter schools legally do whatever smaller non-charter public school systems do. And if that involves contractually transferring all or part of the cost of educating special needs students to a biggie non-charter public school system(s) -- SO BE IT! By the way, I don't hear about any of the biggie non-charter public school systems rejecting such contracts. Why is that?

Lastly, taxpayers ALWAYS lose (pay for) 0the decisions of elected politicians and their appointees. Perhaps I again was unclear when I singled out non-charter public school bureaucrats as "losers." I intended to represent that some of these bureaucrats should "lose" their jobs as their school system's student enrollments decline!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.