VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 23:36:56 03/14/10 Sun
Author: Donald F. Valtman
Subject: Re: I was looking at this
In reply to: Larry 's message, "I was looking at this" on 16:28:52 03/13/10 Sat

As usual, I appreciate your remarks. However, I need to correct your statement that "---DeKalb and Fulton are less than half the size of GCPS."
The common measure of public school district size is K-12 student enrollment. Based on October, 2009 ACTUAL student counts submitted to GaDoE, it would be more accurate to say that DeKalb is MORE than half of GCPSs' size and Fulton is CLOSE TO 2/3rds of GCPSs' size. But, semantics aside, the crux of the matter is as you implied, (1) GCPSS's claimed $100 Million deficit never should have occurred, and (2) the fact that it did occur has something to do with past budgets and didn't just happen this year!

If laymen such as you and I can foresee future revenue problems, surely GCPSS professional bean-counters likewise should have been able to do so. And maybe they did forecast future revenue problems but the GCPSS brass just didn't pay them no mind!

Support for this latter possibility exists in a GaDoE FY2009 Expenditures per FTE Student Report. This report showed that GCPSS spent an almost equal amount ($1,092) for GENERAL & SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION as did DeKalb ($1,157) and Fulton ($1,197). Not only does it appear that GCPSS is matching 2 Metro big-time, deficit-operation public school districts in what it spends on General & School administrators, but it's spending LESS on INSTRUCTION ($5,625) than DeKalb ($6,224) and Fulton ($6,286). Maybe -- just maybe -- these 2 micro-examples will exemplify the possibility that GCPSS's claimed $100 Million deficit isn't solely attributable to its not getting enough money, but rather to how and where its been spending the money that it got!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.