VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:43:51 03/30/10 Tue
Author: Shai
Subject: Bullying in Gwinnett County School

What should a parent do when the school does nothing about bullying?
I am a single mother of a bright 8th grader at a Gwinnett County Public School. On March 18th 2010 my son was injured in the locker room when a fellow 8th grader attacked him while he was changing his shoes. I am a firm believer in nonviolence so therefore my son did not defend himself instead he tried to run away for the student. The student chased him grabbed his leg and flipped him over a bench, as if this behavior wasnít bad enough the student still chased my son once they were in gym and pushed him from behind. The student that attacked my son acted in malice and with cruel intentions. He told my son on Tuesday that he was going to get him on Thursday.
Another student joined in later that day and made a threat to mess up my sonís face and to cause more damage then what the other kid caused, all of this was in front of a teacher. Someone finally sent my son to the nurse at this point he was walking with a limp and his elbow was bleeding. The nurse simply bandaged him up and sent him back to class. My son asked to go to the restroom and called me from his cell phone.
On March 18th I met with the 8th grade Assistant Principle with my son and he took my sonís statement and then asked my son to write it down. My son told that the student that attached him had done it once before and that he had done it to other students also. To date the boy has only received 2 days of in school suspension. As a parent what should and can I do when there is a bully running loose at my sonís school and the school refuses to address the situation?
This boy is a repeat offender and including my son has injured at least two other students. One of his victims had to have knee surgery. And my son has had to undergo x-rays and will be starting physical therapy for his knee. I am paying for care for an injury that was inflicted on school property. I have spoken to the Principle and Assistant Principle they have apologized but said there isnít anything more they can do. Who will pay my medical bills? Who is liable? Why are there bullying laws in place if they are not implemented? What message is the school sending to my son and the bully, that is okay to hit students and you will get away with it if there isnít an all out fight. Why wasnít there any adult supervision in the locker room?
I am sending this in hopes that someone will tell my story. I realize that my son was not a victim of extreme violence however I know of at least two other students that has been bullied by this student. I have already contacted the Area Superintendent who recommended that I contact the school. I have also tried to contact the Office Resource Officer to no avail. If the school will not take action in my defense maybe if they realize that others are aware of this situation they will do more then try and keep the issue silent.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.