VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 12:21:26 02/09/11 Wed
Author: Larry
Subject: I have exact local number only for 2010
In reply to: CharterStarter, Too 's message, "Continuing the Dialogue" on 23:11:28 02/07/11 Mon

Since these are last yearís numbers, they are actuals as opposed to any type of estimates.

216 Ivy Prep students lived in Gwinnett County. When you take these specific 216 students, account for the SPED category (if any) into which they fall and calculate the amount GCPS would have spent on local funding using the formula for Startup Charter School funding found in O.C.G.A. 20-2-2068.1, you will arrive at a total of $547,464. This is the exact amount a Startup Charter School would receive in local funding and the amount GCPS would expect to spend on these kids had they attended GCPS. The Commission didnít use this formula; they divided available local funds by the number of students Ė which ignored the fact that over 12% of GCPS students were in an enhanced SPED category compared to Ivy Prepís 6% - and arrived at an average of $3934.93 per student. The Commission multiplied this amount by 216 and used $849,944 as the Commission Local Funding amount, which it deducted from GCPS QBE funding and gave to Ivy Prep. This is over $300,000 more than GCPS would have spent or a Startup Charter School would have received in local funding. If you look around, you may find a system that would spend 7 or 8 grand on these kids, but Gwinnett isnít one of them.

Think about this.

What if Ivy Prep would have ended up with some Category IV SPED students? These kids require about $15,000 EACH in local funding, but the Commission would have allocated the same $3934.93 because they use an average. At an additional, unfunded cost of $11,000 each, it wouldnít take a lot of kids in this category to close a small school. Incidentally, this has already happened in a Startup Charter school which IS correctly funded but lacks economics of scale. In this case, the host system altered the charter and provided the needed services - but Ivy Prep has no agreement with any school system, so what are you planning to do if this happens? Do you seriously think Ivy Prepís lawyer would have ripped off a dozen pages of why this funding method is correct if Ivy Prep had ended up with enough expensive to educate kids to prevent them from opening?

As I mentioned, the Commission *appears* to have done something dramatically different for 2011, and I will be happy to pass this along when I find out what happened.

Concerning my comparison between Ivy Prep and GSMST Ė for formula funding purposes, GSMST students are not part of GCPS and state funding is calculated separately. The dramatic difference I pointed out is solely because of QBE formula funding.

One of your points I still donít see is the difference in QBE formula funding. Look at the links in my previous post (some reports are no longer available online), do the math on each category - adjusted for T&E - and tell me exactly what difference youíre seeing.

The discrepancy you mentioned between the enrollment counts used and what state law requires be used, is the situation I mentioned previously and blamed on my faulty memory. If the DOE is actually violating the law, this must be corrected. Under the circumstances, Iím not the person to do this. I would think the GCSA should be familiar with this situation.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.