VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:10:43 02/09/11 Wed
Author: CharterStarter, Too
Subject: Re: I have exact local number only for 2010
In reply to: Larry 's message, "I have exact local number only for 2010" on 12:21:26 02/09/11 Wed

Fair enough. Let me take what you've shared, reflect a bit, run the comparisons as you suggest, and I'll get back with you.

Before I run off to do this though - I am a bit confused about what you are saying in paragraph 1. We've already discussed gaps in the QBE calculations, so I won't repeat that.

Where you lose me is with the local piece (or the equivalent local piece for a Commission school.) The "spending" of whatever the money pot is has nothing to do with it. The districts don't pay the state an oversight fee like the charters do, which is no different from a charter not having a category IV SPED student. The fact is, districts choose to structure their budgets, staffing, and central office operations very differently, just as charters' expenditures and structure may look different. Why wouldn't you take the local funding per FTE and divvy it up proportionally? To do it any other way would impose the district's priorities on a charter and would cause mass confusion and even greater inequities all over the state.

As for SPED kids who show up at the Commission doors - I think that's a fair question. Commission (and district for that matter) charters planning ahead and understanding fully their (LEA) responsibility for serving all students prepare for contingencies such as this. It can happen to districts as well, which is why there is the SPED pool available for excessive expenditures (I think it's somewhere over $25,000 if memory serves.) I don't see how this has anything to do with revenue calculations - this is an expenditure that a Commission school would have to make if the situation arose - all the more reason to get the funding right.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.