VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:28:27 04/16/07 Mon
Author: Ferwood
Subject: Expose Re: $$$ FACTS
In reply to: jim 's message, "$$$ FACTS" on 10:05:39 04/16/07 Mon

And from a taxpayer and consumer point of view, the "product" of Gwinnett Schools is superior to Atlanta and they spend so much less. So, does more money mean a better school, a better building or a better education?

We have choice. Those who can are either moving to Gwinnett or squatting at the bus pick up points and enrolling their kids here because it is the only freedom option they have. Vouchers don't exist and never will. Charter schools are doomed by design because competition will never be allowed in public education. People are afraid of change and responsiblity. In fact, I think I like those parents who care so much about their children's education that they would drive all the way to Gwinnett and sit at a bus stop morning and afternoon to see that their child get a better education in a school that spends less money per pupil. That shows that parents can be trusted with the educational choice for their children. Who ever thought up the idea that students should be assigned schools based on the base price of their home? Sounds like it has a racist base going back to when neighborhoods were segregated. We tried to fix that in Atlanta with forcing teachers to teach work in cross-race schools. When I saw the other race teachers for the first time I had great empathy. I could see why they sent us some really crappy teachers who should have been committed to a hospital and I felt really sorry for their former students, but when they also sent us one or two of their best teachers I thought how stupid for them to send their best teachers away...how did that help anybody, except me.

I realized these education people didn't know what they were doing. The low level of integration in my school was working well of the students in it. But when they started bussing people, it didn't improve the schools, it broke down the community. Today, all the schools in that community are now closed. The community is a crime nest of the city and wealthy investors are now buying up the devalued land to build a new upscale community that will make them lots of money and will displace thousands of home owners who have been fighting crime to save their communities for decades all the while the city ignored it on purpose to please the investors who were seated like vultures above. Some people call them "Venture Capitalists". but I would call them "Vulture Capitalists".

Public schools were used in Atlanta to create real estate turnover. The school official cooperated with this scheme because the worse the schools got the more money that was dumped into them. Common sense people of business left knowing what was happening. The destruction of black and white communities in Atlanta by the schemes of public officials is reprehensible. Jimmy Carter, Maynard Jackson, Bill Campbell all worked to line their pockets while the city of Atlanta is literally crumbling under the weight of neglect. Water pipes bursting, sinkholes, less Potholes thanks to Shirley Franklin's Pothole Posse, police killing citizens, robbery, murders, thefts, drugs, prostitution, gangs, health crisis, traffic problems, etc. But still the city grows and regrows and more. Freakonomics.

Gwinnett is going the same direction at a more accelerated pace. Business is booming. Growth is great, the Schools are growing, funding is up....so why do I feel so bad about the way things are looking. I've been through this before. We don't have any great leaders...just wealthy ones.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.