VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:35:21 07/04/15 Sat
Author: Kathleen
Subject: Gracious & Intelligent

I haven't looked in on the Forum since my last post. I am delighted that I did so today. The intelligent & gracious comments made by three of our classmates are illustrative of the kind of dialogue we had hoped to see from our "kids" fifty-five years later. We were 476 individual and unique urban high schoolers back in the day so weexpected that with age and maturity we would continue along paths that were equally individual & unique. What was not anticipated was that the Forum would be used as a bully pulpit...whether conservative or liberal. Had we been watching as our elected officials took verbal clubs to each other trying to pound their views home, we would have known it wrould probably not have been so different here. These classmates have shown how to run a Forum in such a manner as to speak their conscience without resorting to insult and inuendo. They make their points while maintaining their dignity and illustrating the maturity that five plus decades have given them. It would be lovely to see many more classmates come on here and share their lives in such a respectful & eloquent manner. I regret the part that I played in trying to get us on a positive track. I had almost reached the point of asking the Steering Committee to have Tom take this gift down as it was more devisive than unifying. I had numerous notes from classmates who had already decided to not return to the Forum let alone put themselves out to dry. Hopefully, we have all, and I do mean ALL, had sufficient time to realize that in our 70s that we are not going to change others, that we are content with ourselves, and that the FORUM can be fun, interesting, and a place to share the best of who we have become. I hope you all enjoyed the RECORDER. What an amazing job Hazel Sterner did on it. We thank you for your donations to the Treasury. Wasn't it lovely of Shirley Walker to honour our teacher, Harvey Steinberg! with a $1000 donation!!!!! Thank you to our most excellent Denny Whalen for his many years of Co-Chairing the Class of '61 with me. While I will surely miss his strong and steady leadership, I am far from alone. Our Steering Committee is comprised of outstanding individuals who work together constantly for the success of our class. They run the gamut from Far Right to Far Left in their politics and from God-loving to God-fearing to No God at all in their religious beliefs. However, they have managed to put all that aside and work together in harmony and respect for the betterment of SCTHS Class of '61. KBN-O

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.