VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]3 ]
Subject: Black folk art dolls/possible voodoo

Author:
Karin Villasana
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 02:37:42 09/06/04 Mon

I wonder if someone can help me with identifying some dolls I own. They appear old, are 8" tall, and their heads are made of what is similar to black clay, or coal, pretty rough, not smooth. The bodies are made of wrapped material over possible wire, the top of the hands are covered in the same coal like material on top but left white on the bottom, the clothes are old fashion, but nicely sewn. On top of the coal like head all four have straight hair wigs, in different colors, one male three female. The male is dressed in some pirate like outfit( possible Caribbian) They are all pretty ugly, and would scare a child, they look what I would imagine a vintage voodoo doll to look like. I am sure they were not made for play they had to have another purpose. Their clothes are very neat, intricate in detail with underwear, stockings, and leather like shoes. I have tried to identify them in the past but had no luck, would love to add photo, but not sure how to do it on the message board. Thank you for any help you could give and if anyone has any idea where else I could research please let me know.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.