VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 23:43:31 08/28/02 Wed
Author: wormie
Subject: Provocative question
In reply to: Mommyof3 's message, "Sara and the evil COW" on 05:00:20 08/28/02 Wed

>I've noticed a trend in both seasons, a big contrast
>between Sara and the female villians of the show.
>While Sara isn't a conventionally "pretty-pretty"
>girl, she's a very "natural" beauty, KWIM?

I think Yancy is beautiful but not "cute". [I think, for example, that Catherine Zeta-Jones is "beautiful" but not Julia Roberts] In Season 1, I think the "look" of the characters --particularly Jake and Sara-- were very "real" for plain clothes homicide detectives in NYC and not "too pretty" or "Hollywood-ized"; I think this season we have the LA version of NYC homicide cops ;) but this was not the original question...

>Without exception, the "evil" women on the show are
>traditional department-store-catalog-type women. Very
>sleek, made up, etc. I would say they were all
>beautiful, but I found Dominique just scary looking.
> But even she had that mannequin look about her.
>
>There is a really sharp contrast in style and looks
>between Sara and all of those women. I'm assuming
>this isn't an accident, and TPTB are doing it with
>something in mind.
>
>Thoughts on this? Or do I just have way too much time
>on my hands, and need to stop watching WB for a while?

I think Dominique was a "cold" beauty (Laila Robins is very attractive) not "scary-looking" in contrast to Karen Bronte who came across as more of a "girl next door".

I think the difference is *partially* due to career/position in life/circle in which they live --Dominique as head of modeling agency, Christina as owner/manager of a trendy online sex site, Aras as your generic ho, etc. However, you can argue that Karen was a model & didn't have the same look as Dominique which leads to me say: I think the important thing is in their *character*--the villainesses are all *vain*, *hungry* women who *want* to be noticed...hence the make-up and the clothes.

[I do think there is a general "skankiness" trend this year but I digress]

A interesting example/exception is Dr. Granger -- one of her personalities, the doctor didn't seem to want the WB & the doctor dressed somewhat professionally chic & the make-up was appropriate (her glasses were not *my* style for eyewear, but I do recognize how they can be considered "chic" in an Anne Klein sort of way)--however, "Adrienne", her alternate personality, had hair and make-up consistent with the Goth persona.
{BTW, I thought Christina was very pretty...and you know, that whole "wooden" acting thing...I don't think we should be so quick to come to that conclusion. If Christina had the *horrible* childhood that was hinted at--being kept in a box and all that--it is reasonable to assume that she has some serious dissociation issues & would not necessarily "wear her heart on her sleeve" so to speak.]

don't think it's too much time on your hands..it's just a little *something* to analyze...

--wormie
=)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.