VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:55:16 08/29/02 Thu
Author: Lark
Subject: Fan-sites & WB Re: I stand corrected...It was Warner Bros who did it!!!
In reply to: Karen 's message, "Re: I stand corrected...It was Warner Bros who did it!!!" on 11:20:02 08/29/02 Thu

>Holy sh-t. I hate to sound selfish, but does that
>mean they're going after all the fan sites? I haven't
>heard anything about this.
>

Some time around last fall, actually, WB began going nuts-o with everyone's web-sites, they were attacking anyone with Felicity, 7th Heaven, Buffy, Angel, you name it, they tossed fits and made the sites shut down. And as they acquired syndications on many non-WB developed productions, they began to shut those sites down, as well.

Many of the sites that went away were only able to return if they didn't "infringe" in some way -- and the web-masters were never really given outlines on what did/did not infringe, so there never seemed to be much in the way of explanation, it was just, "We want you shut down NOW". To go back up, they had to cut out any copyrighted material, which again, was arbitrarily outlined: if you acknowledged you got it from them, you were not violating copyright rules, but then again, what was okay on one site was not okay on another. Some sites had to plug Warners to go back up. And some just went away never to return, thoroughly disgruntled. (How do you get "gruntled"?)

There are several things you might do:

1 - Contact Warner Brothers. Tell them that you *were* acknowledging all source materials for the videos. Then point out that NO ONE gave you the slightest warning that you were even slightly non-compliant.

2 - Communicate your displeasure with Angelfire that they gave you no warning. I would also find out if they were actually told to shut YOU down, or if they were told to just shut down all sites for Witchblade, regardless.

3 - Toot your own horn. What was the name of the Gauntlet coordinator, Jean Davis, or whatever?? Your videos were officially viewed. You had a booth and were considered an official presenter at the con. Your videos were viewed and approved by cast and crew members of the show, RH was given full copies of everything. Essentially, you ARE officially compliant -- and technically, THEY may have been incorrect in shutting you down. I would contact Jean and ask her.

4 - Communicate with TNT that this has occurred, and if you have the backing of the Gauntlet behind you (and why shouldn't you?), again, point out to them you are compliant, and you feel quite wronged.

It might not hurt to ask the Tsang sisters -- or anyone else who has *official* sites -- for details on what makes them official, if they experience the same sort of issues, etc. Granted, since they are maintaining sites for individual actors, the rules are different, but they may know WHO to contact, HOW, etc.

I understand the need to preservation of copyrights, and I do not disagree with protection of their business -- but what a crock!

:o)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.