VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:31:37 04/27/16 Wed
Author: John Tredrea
Subject: Re: Spanish Ships of the Line 1700-1860
In reply to: Manu Blasco 's message, "Spanish Ships of the Line 1700-1860" on 08:04:16 04/21/16 Thu

Let me concur with Manu's recommendation. I have a hard copy of Enrique Perez' La Artillería Naval Española en el Siglo XVIII on the development of Spanish naval ordnance and an internet generated copy of a book on Spanish fragatas, Las Fragatas de Vela de la Armada Española 1600-1850, along lines quite similar to those of this latest work on Spanish navios. The fragata book is only available online because when it was completed, Spain was in the midst of a deep economic depression and funds were not available for the government to print out a hard copy.

Perez has accessed Spanish archives to a degree exceeding that of any of his predecessors, including the redoubtable Artinañao whose 1920 work formed the basis for Christian St. Hubert's compilations on both navios and fragatas.

All three of these works are, unfortunately, only available in Spanish language versions. The Spanish is not terribly difficult for anyone with a few years of Spanish under their belts, but there is a mild problem with the nautical terminology not readily accessible in even the best Spanish/English dictionaries. If you are a sailing navy enthusiast, this does not really matter in my opinion. The quality of the illustrations make these books worth the price in my opinion and they are filled with charts that are readily accessible, even for people with no Spanish language skills.

Given the availability of information on both the British and French sailing navies, Perez's works are a much needed addition to anyone interested in the development of the three great Atlantic rivals in the period from 1600-1860.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.