VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 13:07:10 09/16/16 Fri
Author: Carl Brechler
Subject: Re: Frigate CRESCENT
In reply to: AvM 's message, "Frigate CRESCENT" on 04:40:38 09/14/16 Wed

Hi,

I was looking for this a (quite a) while back, I was curious how much the AWI Continental frigates carried over to the Federal frigates. Never did locate the plans for sure. Everything that I found indicates she was a typical "British" 28 gun frigate in size and armament. Probably makes sense considering who the designer was.

The Fox Papers appear to be at the Peabody Museum in Salem (Massachusetts), though the museum lists the papers as 1807 to 1987. Chapelle does write that he examined the plans at the Peabody. 1807 is when he left Federal employment.

The Crescent was designed by Fox and was constructed by the Hackett cousins. James Hackett's papers also appear to be at the Peabody. I havenít yet been able to find where William Hackett's papers wound up (or if they even exist). William was the designer of the two, but the description of James papers does mention ship dimensions and offsets.

Further information on the Crescent may be found in the Documents of the Barbary Wars set of books, though no plans. PDF versions of the series may be found at the American Naval Records Society, located at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/anrs/barbary.html

A while back, there was a discussion of North African navies, and pothkin posted the following:

> Date Posted: 09:56:30 08/03/07 Fri
> Author: pothkan
> Subject: Algerine frigates

SNIP

> 2) 38-gun, of American origin (called "el Merikane" = American), in service 1792-1794

> 3) 36-gun, given by USA as part of tribute: built in Portsmouth by Josiah Fox, launched 29.06.1797, 37.2◊9.8◊3.6 m (so tonnage probably c. 500-600 t). Called "Crescent" in American sources (may be for Arabic "Hilal"), also "el Merikane" (2nd). Masters: El Hadj Yacoub, El Hadj Slimane and RaÔs Mohammed Ou Ali. In service till 1805.

> 4) Two 36-gun frigates of unknown origin, in service 1798-1800 and 1802-1803. Could be the same, being 1800-1802 e.g. in reserve?

FURTHER SNIP

So, may not have been in service beyond 1805, at least not with Algiers. Quite possible she was built with less than optimally seasoned timbers.

Sorry, this is all I have.

carl

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.