VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 00:14:21 11/01/16 Tue
Author: carl brechler
Subject: Re: "Post topping"
In reply to: Albert Parker 's message, ""Post topping"" on 11:39:15 10/31/16 Mon

Hi,

A couple of questions, were these British or colonial ships and, if colonial, which part of the colonies. What type of ships were they, i.e. were they (for lack of contemporary terms) intercontinental traders, fishing vessels, coastal traders, traders between the North American continent and the Caribbean, whalers, etc.?

Are you sure that it is a nautical term or maybe a borrowed term to describe an activity that Captain Lewis was not familiar with?

I found frequent reference to post- (and pre-) topping in an agricultural context, particularly in a tobacco related context. I can't see a direct reference here, but got me thinking about cross terminology and jargon. Likely a dead end, but a possibility.

carl

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.