VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:20:38 11/07/16 Mon
Author: Albert Parker
Subject: Re: São Francisco Xavier
In reply to: AvM 's message, "Re: São Francisco Xavier" on 07:56:54 11/07/16 Mon

>>p.618
>>In 1801 when the Britius occupied the territory, it
>>had 4 frigates, one pal, 4 manchuas and 3 other small
>>vessels. By 1810 all its frigates disappeared. One was
>>dispached to Lisbon." -there are also names
>REAL FIDELISSIMA - requistioned by the British RN and
>was shipwrecked in the rRed Sea
>SANTA ANA and SA JOAQUIM could no longer be used
>NOSSA SENHORA DOS MILAGRES BELEZA DO MAR - wrecked
>1809 near Mozambique
>
>Then 1814 payed from issurance of the BELEZA a 28 gun
>frigate was bought by Estado- TEMIVEL PORTUGUESA.
>
>All these ships ale listed in other works on the
>Portuguese Navy

The Goa Navy ship listed in one of my earlier e-mails, Dom Fernando II e Gloria is No. 192 in under "Fragatas e fragatinhas" in Catalógo dos navios brigantinos, so we can't say that São Francisco de Xavier is excluded because she was a Goa Navy ship. An 80 seems to be inconsistent with the smaller vessels reported from the late 18th/early 19th century. Perhaps she is missing from the Catalógo because of the chaos of the Napoleonic wars, including the transfer of the Portuguese court and government to Brazil in 1807.

Incidentally, although the Web site I cited previously [what did I sight on the site I cited?☺] says that Dom Fernando is currently a museum ship in the Tagus, Catalógo says of her fate, "Perdeu-se por incêndio em Lisboa em 1963," which I think means in English, "Was lost by fire at Lisbon in 1963." I didn't read the original mention carefully; perhaps she was only partially destroyed by fire and has been restored.

I think we have established that there was a "Goa Navy," but that it had an 80-gun two-decker after 1804 is more problematic. Still there are too many specifics for me to think that the ship never existed or even was one that was designed, planned, or ordered, but never built or never completed. It's possible that the 80-gun armament was never actually installed.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.