VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:07:59 11/07/16 Mon
Author: John Houghton
Subject: Re: São Francisco Xavier
In reply to: Albert Parker 's message, "Re: São Francisco Xavier" on 09:20:38 11/07/16 Mon

The thing I find hard to understand is why the Portuguese authorities in India would build such a large ship solely for local defence. The original post says this ship of the line was active in the Goa area until 1814 and was not broken up until 1840. It seems unlikely to me that such a large ship would leave no trace in Portuguese records at any time and no trace in other records of the Napoleonic War in the Indian Ocean.

Like you, Albert, I wondered whether this ship was a project that was never completed but the blogger says clearly it was launched and completed in 1804. Perhaps somebody who speaks Portuguese could ask a question on the blog about the source for this interesting post.

John

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Re: São Francisco Xavier -- John Houghton, 00:28:06 11/08/16 Tue
    VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.