VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:58:00 02/28/17 Tue
Author: John Houghton
Subject: Re: Turkish Navy (again)
In reply to: Albert Parker 's message, "Re: Turkish Navy (again)" on 09:14:39 02/28/17 Tue

>We still have James' assertion that the gun deck was
>armed with a mixture of approximately 42-[English]
>pound, 24-pound, and 18-pound pieces, not 24's with a
>pair of 42's. The 18's would then, presumably, be
>7-okka pieces (19.78 lbs.). James must have gotten
>this from somewhere or someone, but he does not
>indicate a source. In this case, he is reducing
>rather than inflating the enemy throw weight. It
>makes sense for the Turks to have had 7-okka guns as
>an intermediate caliber between 9 okkas and 5 okkas
>(and 5-7-9 makes a nice even progression just as
>12-18-24 does), but did they actually have them?
>
They certainly did in the 1820s and probably earlier. Fevzi Kurtoğlu, ‘Yunan İstiklal Harbi ve Navarin Muharebesi’, 2 vols, Istanbul 1944, gives some representative armaments for 1827 in vol 2, pp.173-4.

Burc-i Zafer (ship of the line): Lower Deck 24 11-okka guns + 4 18-okka howitzers, Upper Deck 28 7-okka guns, Forecastle/Quarter Deck 14 5-okka guns = 70 pieces of ordnance.

Fevz-i Nusret (heavy frigate): Upper Deck 24 9-okka guns + 4 18-okka howitzers, Forecastle/Quarter Deck 22 5-okka guns = 50 pieces of ordnance.

Nesim-i Zafer (light frigate): Upper Deck 18 5-okka guns + 4 7-okka howitzers, Forecastle/Quarter Deck 12 3-okka guns = 34 pieces of ordnance.

Using Emir’s formula 18 okka = 50.87 English pounds , 11 okka = 31.09 English pounds and, as already posted, 9 okka = 25. 43 pounds, 7 okka = 19.78 pounds, 5 okka = 14.13 pounds, 3 okka = 8.48 pounds.

The howitzers appear to have been for iron shot (not stone shot). Two such guns were mounted on the middle deck of the large 128-gun Mahmudiye according to a British naval officer’s report in 1832. A 12-okka (= 33.91 pounds) gun armed Egyptian ships of the line in the 1830s so might well have been in use in Turkey too.

On the above figures Fevz-i Nusret looks to be a heavy frigate of the same type as Bedr-i Zafer.

John

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.