VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 04:32:21 03/08/17 Wed
Author: John Houghton
Subject: Re: Turkish Navy (again 2) -ships of the line
In reply to: AvM 's message, "Re: Turkish Navy (again 2) -ships of the line" on 17:11:58 03/06/17 Mon

I fully agree that reliable information for this period is especially difficult to find. From Turkish sources I think 10 ships of the line in 1811 and 1820 is too few.

According to Fevzi Kurtoğlu, ‘Yunan İstiklal Harbi ve Navarin Muharebesi’ (Istanbul 1944) again, vol 1, pp.104-5, the Turkish fleet in commission in 1812 consisted of 12 ships of the line, 9 frigates and 2 corvettes. At Istanbul Dockyard in reserve were 8 ships of the line, 1 frigate and 1 corvette.

According to Nejat Gülen, ‘Şanli Bahriye 1773-1973’ (Istanbul 2001) p. 55 the fleet commanded by the Kapudan Pasha in 1822 consisted of 17 ships of the line and 16 frigates (plus an unknown number of transports).

My data on Ottoman losses in the Greek Revolution is not exactly the same as yours. In particular there was a further ship of the line lost on 10.11.1822 off Tenedos. My sources say the loss of a ship of the line off Mytilene took place on 18.6.1821 not 1822 and the loss of the 66-gun vessel took place in 1.6.1825 not 1826.

John

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.