VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 23:06:13 03/08/17 Wed
Author: John Houghton
Subject: Re: Turkish Navy (again 2) - frigates
In reply to: AvM 's message, "Re: Turkish Navy (again 2) - frigates" on 11:59:29 03/08/17 Wed

I prefer not to comment on your last list because I don’t have time to do the necessary checking. You will find well-researched information on actions of the Russo-Ottoman War of 1807-1812 and the British operation in the Dardanelles on Cy’s website at http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=home I have contributed quite a lot to this information.

My own ‘Navies of the World 1835-1840’ (3rd edition, Melbourne, 2012) pp. 61-2 details the losses at Navarin drawing heavily on Ali Fuat Örenç, ‘1827 Navarin Deniz Savaşi ve Osmanlı Donanması’ (The Battle of Navarin 1827 and the Ottoman Navy) which appeared in Istanbul University’s ‘Tarih Dergisi 2007’ (History Review 2007). In my introduction I review different sources that detail the battle and the Turco-Egyptian fleet. The only major ship afloat at the end of the battle was the Egyptian frigate Zir al-Jihad. (Today I would actually write this name Shir al-Jihad as my advice on Arabic names has changed. The names of all Egyptian warships were in Ottoman Turkish, the official language of the empire, but I prefer to use their Arabic equivalents.)

Here are details of Turkish and Egyptian losses at Navarin copied from pp. 61-2. Anyone who would like the latest pdf of my book, please contact me via email.

‘Ibrahim Pasha, supreme Ottoman commander in the Morea and adopted son of Mehmed Ali, recorded the losses of the Turkish component of the fleet as:

Heavily damaged were the ships of the line Kûh-ı Revân and Burc-ı Zafer, the frigates Feyz-ı Mirâc, Kaid-i Zafer, Keyvân-ı Bahrî, Menba-ı Nusret and Pertev-i Nusret, the corvettes Ayn-i Necad, Hilâl-i Zafer, Mebde-i Nusret, Mecrâ-yı Zafer, Muin-i Cihad, Nasır-ı Bahrî, Peyk-i Nusret and Tair-i Bahrî, and two brigs.

Sunk were the frigate Fevz-i Nusret, the corvettes Gurre-i Fütuh and Feyz-i Bahşa, and two further brigs.

Burnt were the ship of the line Fâtih-i Bahrî, the frigates Badî-i Nusret, Bed-i Nusret, Beşir-i Zafer, Gurre-i Nusret, Müjde-resân and Nusret Aver, and the corvettes Envar-i Nusret, Feyz-i Felek, Feyz-i Hüda, Id-i Nusret, Kerem-i Badî, Mevkib-i Cihad, Peyk-i Fütuh and Talih-i Fütuh.

He recorded the losses of the Egyptian component as:

Sunk were the frigate Murshid al-Jihad, two brigs and two schooners.

Burnt were the frigates Ihsaniyya and Surayya, three corvettes, two brigs and three fireships.

Of these vessels Burc-ı Zafer, Feyz-ı Mirâc, Kaid-i Zafer, Keyvân-ı Bahrî, Fevz-i Nusret, Gurre-i Fütuh, Feyz-i Bahşa and two Turkish brigs returned to Alexandria in December 1827, as did Zir al-Jihad and other Egyptian survivors which included five corvettes. Mecrâ-yı Zafer returned to the Dardanelles. Huseyin Bey’s flagship Kûh-ı Revân was refloated but lost at sea, as noted above, on its way to Alexandria in September 1828.’

Note that Fevz-i Nusret, Gurre-i Fütuh and Feyz-i Bahşa were all salvaged although recorded as sunk. Brigs, schooners, and Egyptian corvettes were all known by the names of their captains.

John

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Re: Turkish Navy (again 2) - corvettes -- AvM, 02:25:02 03/10/17 Fri
    VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.