VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 13:28:21 04/26/17 Wed
Author: Albert Parker
Subject: Re: Hired Transports
In reply to: Cy 's message, "Hired Transports" on 00:32:52 04/23/17 Sun

>Does anyone know where I can find lists, or just
>numbers, for transports hired by the British during
>the seven years war?

Cy, I doubt that you will find consolidated lists anywhere. You might be able to find counts in descriptions of specific operations, such as the transport of Wolfe's army for the attack on Quebec, or of the army that participated in the attack on Havana. For the names of the vessels, you will probably have to go to primary sources, either the contracts, if they are at the National Archives, or perhaps reports by the admirals. I know of a study by David Syrett, of British transports during what we call over here the American Revolutionary War and from which you omit the word "Revolutionary," or the "War of American Independence," which you rearrange after deleting "Independence," under the title Shipping and the American War, which would give you an idea of the numbers of ships required by giving the rules of thumb for tons/man for troop transports and of the tonnage needed for various types of ordnance (in the 177583 war, the despicable traitors controlled most of the countryside and it was necessary to transport even forage for the cavalry's and artillery's horses across the Atlantic). For trans-Atlantic operations, fewer but larger ships would probably have been preferred to smaller but more numerous ones. However, I don't know of such a monograph for the 9-year French and Indian War of 17541763 (Braddock's army would have required transports outside the "Seven Years" time fame), and I don't know whether even Syrett (or whoever the author was) stated the number of transports or listed them by name and tonnage, for any operation.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.