VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 20:20:07 10/01/17 Sun
Author: John Houghton
Subject: Re: What became of the French Fleets in 1815
In reply to: chuck 's message, "Re: What became of the French Fleets in 1815" on 11:25:27 09/30/17 Sat

Hi Chuck,

I can send you a pdf of the latest version of my book if you send me your email. I plan to post the pdf on the web later this year.

In brief, most of the French fleet in Dutch waters was transferred to the Dutch and the French/Italian fleet at Venice was transferred to the Austrians. Ships building at Antwerp were broken up as part of the peace arrangements, ships building at Amsterdam and Rotterdam were transferred to the Dutch, ships building at Venice were transferred to the Austrians and the British took possession of two ships of the line building at Genoa. The rest (about 2/3 of the French fleet as of 1813) were retained by the French and formed the basis of the post-war navy.

For the development of the French fleet 1816 to 1859 you can also see Stephen Roberts' website Shipscribe at http://www.shipscribe.com/marvap/index.html There was no major program of scrapping, just gradual replacement. All European governments were desperate to reduce spending after the colossal expense of the war so the French fleet, like the others, steadily dwindled in size.

The Dutch completed the ships building at Amsterdam and Rotterdam (there were no ships building at Vlissingen). Most of the ships building at Venice were eventually broken up as the Austrians had little interest in sea power at this stage. The British launched one of the ships at Genoa and took the timbers for the other back to Britain.

John

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.