VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:05:55 03/24/18 Sat
Author: Albert Parker
Subject: Re: COMPARATION BETWEEN BRITISH TREE DECKER 98 GUNS AND FRENCH TWO DECKERS 80 GUNS
In reply to: John Houghton 's message, "Re: COMPARATION BETWEEN BRITISH TREE DECKER 98 GUNS AND FRENCH TWO DECKERS 80 GUNS" on 07:05:07 03/24/18 Sat

I do
>not know of specific occasions where their speed was a
>tactical or strategic advantage but it is a question
>worth pursuing.

I don't recall the specifics, but I do remember reading about a case in which a small French squadron--around half a dozen SOL--got to sea and a British squadron was sent after it. By the time news of the departure got to England and an equivalent force could be told off and ordered to pursue, the French, of course, had a head start of a week or more. The historian who related this incident remarked that it was a rather strange decision to include a 98 as the rear-admiral's flagship for what was intended to be a "flying squadron." It would take some time to find the particulars--the date of the incident, the compositions of the two squadrons, the writer who made the observation, and a citation of the source.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.