VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:44:58 04/17/18 Tue
Author: BPL
Subject: Re: Dutch east indies actions 1830-31
In reply to: Albert Parker 's message, "Re: Dutch east indies actions 1830-31" on 20:43:42 04/15/18 Sun

Thanks for your detailed response. You may be entirely right, though I thought some European powers intervened on the side of Belgium and thus might have been considered belligerents subject to capture - but I have very little information on this conflict so far.

I had assumed that all European navies used the prize system, as England did. France almost certainly did during the Napoleonic Wars, based on my reading. The Dutch having a well developed naval tradition prior to then, I assumed used the same system at least for a time, though whether it continued into 1830s I don't know.

We do have the certificate (in Dutch, and translated) with two medals attached (one being the well known belgian war medal) and the text indicating his service on the corvette Heldin in 1830-31. Of course I am interested in any actions the ship was in during that time, whether prize money resulted or not.

I believe I will have to make a serious effort contacting Dutch naval museums, and the Dept of Navy historian or whatnot. There must be logs, crew manifests, etc. preserved from the Heldin, since it was apparently sold of out service, according to the blog Warshipsresearch.

http://warshipsresearch.blogspot.com/search?q=Heldin

(see 2014 entries referencing the Heldin of the 1830s- there was apparently more than one Heldin)

Does anyone know how to contact the writers of Warshipresearch, I am strangely unable to find contact info on their blog, or post a comment.

Best wishes and thanks.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.