VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:12:38 12/31/15 Thu
Author: Jason
Author Host/IP: 98.222.111.166
Subject: Marshall 1969 100 Decal

I am currently reading the book "November Ever After" by Craig T. Greenlee, a player for Marshall in the late 60s and early 70s. On page 16, he has the following paragraph regarding Marshall's 1969 uniforms.

"The year 1969 was college footballs centennial. The first college game ever played was between Rutgers and Princeton in November 1869. To commemorate the occasion, the NCAA distributed football-shaped decals nationwide for college teams to put on their helmets. The multicolored decal was blue with red trim, and the number "100" (in white type) was framed by a football. Players on every team also received a certificate acknowledging their participation in college football's one-hundredth season."

"In my opinion, the team's headgear for that season was hopelessly bland. Instead of a school insignia, jersey number, or mascot - artwork that typically appeared on the side of the helmet - the only graphics placed on Marshall's milky-white helmets were those centennial decals and jersey numbers in small type on the back of the helmet."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Marshall 1969 100 Decal -- charles arey, 17:39:58 12/31/15 Thu (75.89.184.232)

>I am currently reading the book "November Ever After"
>by Craig T. Greenlee, a player for Marshall in the
>late 60s and early 70s. On page 16, he has the
>following paragraph regarding Marshall's 1969
>uniforms.

Thanks very much for that report; that's very interesting and should enable me to add that helmet to the website.

It is my opinion at the present time that the vast majority of those "100" decals were like the one described for Marshall - a blue football shape with white numerals outlined in red. Not too long ago I added some information to the page at the website regarding those decals in which I mention that I have never seen a color photograph showing those decals in any color other than blue, yellow, light blue, and white. Several other colors have been claimed (red, green, black, and orange) but none have been verified photographically (unless I'm forgetting something).

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (optional):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.