[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]34 ]
Subject: Re: Steren Gland

Ian S
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:57:18 04/11/2008 Tue
In reply to: jimmy dent 's message, "Re: Steren Gland" on 18:37:56 03/11/2008 Mon

>>Thanks for your help,to be honest with you i do not
>know what type of stern gland i have i did not know
>that there was more than one type,i only bought my
>boat last year and everything is fine with the boat i
>have had no trouble with it so far,it was just one of
>those things that because i dont know how old the
>stern gland is,i was thinking should i put one on,what
>is the life span of them?or should i just leave it
>alone,the boat is out of the water so i could do the
>job if i had to.

Ok. There are two types of stern gland. The conventional gland has a fabric stuffing around the shaft, which forms the waterseal. There is some way of clamping this up so that it takes up the wear, However, you dont want to have it too tight as it causes wear on the shaft. If the gland is not leaking, it is probably fine. (A few drips when running is required to cool the shaft).

Sometimes this type of gland has a thick rubber tube that connects the gland fitting to the stern tube. If the correct type of tubing has been used, it will last for many years, but replacement is generally recommended after 5 years.

The other type, of which there are many differnet designs, has some sort of rotating seal to keep the water out. Rubber bellows usually connect the fixed part of the seal to the stern tube. Again, these last for years but replacement after 5 is typical.

That all sound more complicated that it really is. Have a look at a few web sites, catalogue or chandlers to get a beeter idea. You can then look at yours and decide which it is.

Just found this, which shows it all, v good.


Hope this helps, but post again if you have any more queries.


[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.