VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]34 ]
Subject: We're in a quandary

Author:
Alan Smith
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:13:09 10/01/2009 Sat

My brother and I share a Seamaster 25. It has an ancient (1963) Perkins 4.99 engine, which we've nursed back into reasonable performance but it still only manages to push us along at 6mph. Good enough for the mid-Thames, where we're based, but we'd like to go down to the estuary and the Medway.

We went to the boat show yesterday. I don't know why (yes I do) but we looked at alternative engines: Nanni and Sole particularly. The Sole man, Adrian Taylor made us a very resonable offer on the purchase price of a Sole 44 diesel -- almost a thousand pounds less than the list price.

We were both attracted to the idea but... It's an old boat (mid to late sixties) and, although we've done a lot of improvements already, I wonder if we're not over-investing in her.

In favour of the new engine: peace of mind. We have no auxilliary and it'd be no fun to break down downstream of Richmond or in the estuary. Against: the old Perkins chuffed us all the way up from the Medway when we bought her in the wet summer of '07 (albeit it took 13.5 hours with tidal assistance!)

Would the performance be significantly improved by fitting a new engine? We've checked with Norris & Co and the prop we've got is right for a 40hp engine and a 1:1 gearbox. I'm not savvy enough to work out what the maximum speed you can expect from a boat of this type. Maybe it's design speed is 6mph!

We've got a few days to decide. We'd appreciate comments from all you boaty folk on whether to go ahead with the purchase or not.

Alan

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: We're in a quandaryIan S23:09:12 10/01/2009 Sat

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.