VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]34 ]
Subject: Re: oil change

Author:
Robin Carter
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:42:10 19/01/2009 Mon
In reply to: Ian S 's message, "Re: oil change" on 19:32:07 13/01/2009 Tue

>I dont know this engine in detail, but it is usual on
>boat engines to suck the oil out through the dipstick
>or using a built-in pump. There is some discussion here
>
> >"http://www.voy.com/56304/1399.html"> Previous
>thread

>
>Ian

Alan
Its a dull wet day so I've nothing better to do than answer! My 4.108 in my 27 is a similar engine and is also due for an oil change.
You will need, oil, oil filter (available mail order from ASAP)a suction pump either pump up vacuum or electric (ASAP or mailspeed), a drum for the waste, a large rectangular ice cream tub or tuperware type container. The sump is drained either via a tap below the oil filter (on mine) or if not fitted through the dipstick pipe.
First run the engine to get the oil warm and thin, if you have a tap fit the suction pump to it, if not use the pump accesory very thin pipe down the dipstick pipe. Pump out as much oil as possible. Now cut up the ice cream or tupperware container to fit as well as possible under and around the oil filter, also spread a bin bag under it as well. Now undo the filter nut and loosen and remove the can and filter and catch the filter and as much oil as possible in the tub, this is a messy job, be slow and carefull and you should catch most in the tub,its at this stage that I have dropped the lot into the bilge! Clean around the filter head and refit the new filter. If you have a tap remove the pipe and remember to close the tap. Now refil with oil, can't remember the amount, and my manual is on the boat (the club has copies of Perky manuals, a good investment). Don't overfil, I fill 90% and then run the engine a few seconds to circulate and then top up checking against the dipstick. Not difficult but can be messy with the filter if you are not careful.
Have fun,
Best regards
Robin
Sailbad the Sinner

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: oil changeIan S17:28:34 20/01/2009 Tue

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.