VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]34 ]
Subject: Re: We're in a quandary

Author:
Robin Carter
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:17:43 19/01/2009 Mon
In reply to: Alan Smith 's message, "Re: We're in a quandary" on 15:55:27 12/01/2009 Mon

>Thanks, Robin. That's really clear. Having talked
>and thought it through since Friday, I'm now moving
>away from the idea of replacing the engine. At least,
>not now. We've a lot to do, still, to get the boat
>shipshape inside and out and, although it's a bit slow
>for the tidal Thames, it's fine for mid-Thames, where
>we're based.
>
>We have checked speed with a gps and averaged out
>upstream and downstream speeds to give us a
>black-smoke-free speed of 6mph. With a bit of black
>smoke, she'll do 6.5. I'm starting to think that for
>a 45-year-old, 40hp diesel, that's not bad.
>
>Next time we're out in her, we'll check the revs with
>a tachometer while the engine's under load to get a
>more accurate understanding of the power being
>delivered.
>
>Thanks again to Robin and Ian

Alan
I got a bit confused with the 6mph to knots, its 5.2 Knts not 4.5, we're on the broads and the limits are 5 and 6mph and my log and plotter is in knots so I should know. At 6.5 mph, you're getting towards 6 knots and the hull speed is 6.5 so there's not a lot to be gained. As like mine you have a 1 to 1 box you also need to consider the shaft speed, with a bundle of revs you will exceed the design speed of the shaft and get increased wear. Mine is proped to run at a max of 2200 with a 12 by 8 prop. We have some quite strong tides here, I've seen 3.5 knots on the log with the boat stopped and ballanced on the tide and our boat will pull like a train against the tide using the torque of the engine. If you are producing black smoke its either over fueling or pulling a bundle of revs, I think you need to look at the prop, is it too short a pitch or worn. have fun.
Best regards
Robin

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.