VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]34 ]
Subject: Re: Fitting of GPS Radome / VHF Aerial to a Seamaster 27

Author:
Robin Carter
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:25:04 17/03/2009 Tue
In reply to: Ian D. Bennett 's message, "Fitting of GPS Radome / VHF Aerial to a Seamaster 27" on 09:57:11 06/03/2009 Fri

>I am looking at having my boatyard fit a GPS Radome
>and a VHF Aerial to our Seamaster 27. Has anyone
>else attempted this / or had this done to their
>Seamaster and if so where did you mount your GPS
>Radome? I have considered mounting it directly onto
>the coachroof, but I donít want the interior
>headlining to be disturbed, also the boatyard are not
>happy at doing this either. I have seen another
>Seamaster 27 with their GPS Radome attached to a
>bracket protruding from the centre of the windscreen,
>this could be an option, as the boatyard have said
>they can fashion a bracket from aluminium which would
>then be secured to the windscreen frame. The VHF
>Aerial is a folding type so I am considering having
>this mounted on the port-side of the superstructure
>near to the navigation light.
>
>Itís at times like this that I wish she had a hardtop
>over the cockpit ;o)
>
>Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Ian.

Ian
Why do you need a GPS dome? On my 27 I've got a Garmin 550 chartplotter which is mounted on the bulkhead below dash height alongside the wheel/instrument box, it operates well on its internal aerial picking up all the satelites, so you do not need an usightly dome.
For my radio I have used a metre long stainless steel whip VHF aerial mounted on a bracket on the top of the wooden penant foremast, via a plug and a socket in the cabin roof and the cabling hidden by the headlining down to floor level and under the floor to the wheel position. The range and reception is excelent and it is also neat, tidy, and inconspicuious, so does not spoil the classic lines, it's also a simple instalation to do.
Best regards
Robin

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.