VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]34 ]
Subject: Seamaster 30 steering issue

Author:
Bob (Blimey that was close !)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 23:18:43 31/08/2009 Mon

I have recently aquired a Seamaster 30 which my wife and I are very pleased with. It's a soft top with a single 1800cc engine which I think is a Thornycroft although it has C&C Marine on the rocker cover and dashboard. The only problem that we have is steering it, this was immediatly apparant when we test drove her at the boatyard. The boatyard demonstrater seemed to have no trouble but when I took the helm, I ended up with lots of overstear in each direction and a boat zig-zaging down the river. I put this down to the boat being so much bigger and heavier with less immediate responce than our previous shorter, narrower craft with rear cockpit and also not having enough time to realy 'get the feel of her'. We have now taken her out several times and whilst we are getting more use to her, the steering does seem to have a mind of its own sometimes. I think that most of the problem lies with the amount of slack at the wheel which is around 3inches at the rim which you have to go through each time you make an adjustment to your course. I have also noticed that you can rock the steering wheel around suggesting that the bearing might me showing its age. Is this amount of slack normal and what if anything can be done to reduce it ? Any responce would be gratefully received.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.