VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]34 ]
Subject: Re: Battery management onboard Seamaster 30

Author:
Bob Ward
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:13:23 19/10/2009 Mon
In reply to: mark williams 's message, "Re: Battery management onboard Seamaster 30" on 14:00:21 01/02/2009 Sun

My Seamaster 30 has two leisure 110ah batteries and one 110ah for the engine, I think that over the years the boat wiring as gone through a few incarnations. When you switch on the ignition a small relay under the dash clicks and joins the batteries but from what I can see up under the dash it seems to connect a wire from the ammeter to the main up lead from the leisure batteries. The net result of this is that I loose a volt when charging at the leisure battery terminal and the batteries never receive a full charge. As a test I put a tempory link between the batteries with the engine running and checked the current on it(about 20 amps) when the when the leisures batts were low and found (as I expected) that this reduced as the batteries charged up. I am after a quick solution to this problem so I am thinking of fitting a 70amp relay (30 amp alternator) with the contacts joining the leisure and engine batteries at their posts, with the coil fed from the warning light terminal on the alternator the negative supply coming from the switched side of the isolator. At a later date wnen time permits I will disconnect the original arrangement .Does anybody see any disadvantage to my idea ?.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.