VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]
Subject: Re: Seamaster 27 general tips

Author:
Dennis Taylor
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:00:50 04/06/2007 Mon
In reply to: Alan Law 's message, "Seamaster 27 general tips" on 16:27:35 04/06/2007 Mon

Alan,
We have an 813 but I'm sure the problems would be similar. I think one of the worst problems above the waterline is the windows leaking. Damage on internal finish is usually obvious with water staining to wall trim. The escape hatch is quite often the worst offender.
Damage around the deck rubbing stake can show local impact damage to the hull/ deck interface.
Gel-coat cracking can also be a problem particularly if it is wide spread as it certainly spoils the look of the boat.
A good hood is also something to look for, they are expensive to replace but again make a world of difference to the boats look and weather proofing.
Check under the deck boards throughout, the bilges should be clean and dry.
In the engine space check that the area below the engine is clean and free from any major oil staining or general lack of care and maintainance. Again the bilges should be clean and dry.
The most important aspect, in my opinion though, is below the waterline and whether the boat has osmosis. Most people will tell you that it will have and that secondly its not important. It completly depends on your perspective. From an engineering view point I would not want to build my castle on sand. It seems the same to me with a boat. You could spend a lot of time and money making it look great above the waterline while below its slowly degrading away.
You will also need to check the engine and, check out the other systems such as battery charging, stearing, domestic water, etc.
Finally it should probably have a boat safety certificate. I feel these are a bit like the MOT for a car, in as much as they confirm that the boat met a certain specification on the day it was tested, I would not attach any more signifcance to it than that.

Hope this helps but getting someone who knows a bit about what to look for to come a long with you the first time is probably the best bet.

Happy Hunting!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Seamaster 27 general tipsAlan19:33:27 04/06/2007 Mon

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.