VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]
Subject: Stern Gland thingy

Author:
Paul Darbyshire
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:53:13 19/06/2007 Tue

I've had a Seamaster 25 (Sandpiper) for a few years now which has not been used very much and has just been fitted with a shiny new Nanni diesel engine and was recently moved from the River Great Ouse to Brundall Bay Marina on the River Yare. The first proper outing from it's new home on Sunday, down to Rockland Broad, generated a need for me to find out about the stern gland thingy. Mine had leaked, which didn't shook me (honest?!) and continued to leak when we were stationary. I turned the little brass nut on the very top of the arrangement and realised it was quite loose. A few turns later and I felt some resistance and the drips stopped. Is that job done?

I have just read Brian's Seamaster Owner's Guide and now appreaciate I should make this small adjustment regularly. Is that all I have to do?

What happens when I cannot turn it any more? Presumably, I need to add more grease? Will my boat sink when I unscrew this top nut fully? Do I just unscrew it, take it off and add grease then put it back on? What grease do I use? The Duckhams Admax C62 that Brian mentions in his guide seems to be difficult to locate on the internet, any ideas on an alternative?

As you can probably tell, I'm a new and nervous boat owner, so any help would be very much appreciated.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Stern Gland thingySteve harrison15:52:14 21/06/2007 Thu

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.