VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 20:00:56 07/14/04 Wed
Author: Lady J.B.
Subject: A 'Site' for Sore Eyes

This is brilliant!!! All these years I've heard the name John Hurt, yet was never able to put a name with the face or vice versa. I was too young to watch or care about I, Claudius; and was age 9 and 10 respectively when Alien and The Elephant Man were in wide release. My parents wisely steered me clear, suggesting I see it when I'm old enough to handle the subject matter.

Well, I'm definitely older now [34] and a widow, and purely by accident, saw The Elephant Man on the Independent Film Channel. I was in tears, completely moved and dare I say....smitten- a bit of a girlish crush?!? :- } My in-laws are British, and Mr. Hurt bears a slight resemblance to my late hubby [far older than I & an absolute distinguished charmer] and his adorable brother.

Anyhow, after the film I went online to find every movie and voice over he'd contributed, and proceeded to purchase whatever dvd-vhs I could get my mitts on! After viewing John in The Hit , I found him--well--disturbingly sexy [tee-hee]!! Can't wait until my uncut/ uncensored dvd of Scandal rolls in. I'd read about the Profumo cluster "F" and it makes the Clinton and (B)Lewinsky fiasco look like teenagers making out on their parents' couch and now they're grounded. Ho-hum.

But Mr.Hurt is phenomenal!! Truly one of the unsung greats and that is criminal. When the man takes on a character, he owns it! You can see it and feel it and it stays with you. John brings truth to, and through his craft. I admire and appreciate that. There are sadly very few actors, male/ female & regardless what country they pledge their allegiance to; I can give praises to.

Oh well, to all of my fellow John Hurt fans and admirers: stay true. And to Mr.Hurt , if you ever read this [shameless wishful thinking], I hope that the fates will allow me to meet you one day. Nonetheless, your movies will always bring me joy. As you yourself commented about Dame Judi Dench, there's nothing YOU can't do. J'taime and thank you for giving me a reason to smile again.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Where ARE You Mr. Director! Some Six Characters Are Still Searching for You!! -- Khasha Ostovany, 23:03:12 01/20/05 Thu

Hello all you John Hurt fans!
I am still looking for the play (Six Characters in Search of an Author) on video or DVD. If anyone knows of it having been produced, could you please let me know by sending me an email?
Many thanks,
Khasha

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.