Welcome to the Enema and Suppository Message Board.

Rectal Temperature, Normal 100.2 F or Less.
Visit the Rectal Temperature Message Board.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 – VoyForums News: 'Heartbleed' vulnerability in OpenSSL
VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: The decline of the red bulb

Author:
Belinda
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013, 10:16: am

The animated pic on the front page reminds me of some previous comments on this (and other forums) ie concerning the disappearance of red bulb syringes from drugstore shelves.
From my own observations Id say they are correct. If some kid gets enemaed nowadays it likely to be a Fleet or other disposable, which is a shame cause bulbs are cheaper and can
be re-used. I recall there was no shortage of them during my own childhood about 2 decades ago. The strange thing was that I hardly ever saw anyone buying them.
I did once though. It happened quite unexpectedly. The lady in front of me suddenly reached out, selected a bulb and dropped it in her basket. When her little daughter asked her what it was for, she just smiled and patted her on the butt.
'A No 6 for your No 2 my baby...' (I thought that was kinda cute). The kid didnt smile ofcourse, a look of dismay came over her face. She said nothing however, just followed her
mother to the checkout.
I couldnt help wondering about the 'bathroom scene' when they got home . Would there be drama or would the kid take it quietly? (Not likely if it was her first enema!)
I just hoped her mother would give it with plenty of lube and lots of TLC...

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: The decline of the red bulb

Author:
Sean
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013, 06:25: pm

CVS and Walgreens both sell 8 Oz (450 ml) Adult Rectal Syringes, but they are either blue or white (Cara), not red. They are usually near the hot water bottles and combination syringes.

There are also plenty of all sizes and colors available on-line, ranging from 30 ml to 750 ml. Soft rubber and rigid plastic nozzles are available on most sizes.

Oddly, the Ukranian sellers seem to have the best variety.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
Belinda
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013, 04:10: am

Interesting what you say about the Ukrane. I believe that
rubber enema syringes are still quite popular in Russia and
eastern Europe (and not just for recreational purposes).
Im not sure if they are as frequently used as they once were
in the US.

[> [> Subject: Re: The decline of the red bulb

Author:
Sean
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013, 10:51: am

There are a lot of spas in Russia that do enemas:

http://gizmodo.com/5018552/regular-russian-city-immortalizes-enema-with-42000-statue-held-aloft-by-angels

There are lots more stories. Google:

enema statue

The bulb is held aloft by three angels, but I much prefer the real life enema angels in their white smocks nearby.

Author:
Tammy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013, 01:17: pm

Yes it is still popular in some countries in Europe and also in some asian countries.

Author:
Amanda
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013, 07:06: pm

How old was the little girl?

Author:
Belinda
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 04:31: am

Im not too sure. Maybe about 7 or 8 yo.
Maybe her mother had tried other things and finally decided
that a small bulb enema was the best option?
Anyhow I guess it would be handy to have it on the bathroom
shelf...maybe the child had younger siblings..who knows ?

Author:
Av
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 10:58: pm

The bulb mom used on me was blue, like a baby blue. Believe it was an 8 oz. it was enough to flush me out I know that. Mom would squeeze two bulb fulls in me before I was allowed to go. She always said she wanted to make sure it was enough in me. Her family secret mixed solution always did the trick, I'll never forget that bulb.

Author:
Giovanni
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013, 01:24: pm

Dear Av,until ten years old my bulb was red, 500 ml and with a douche nozzle. If one oz is 30 ml the soapy water was more than twice! And I also was filled with two full bulbs. Then was enema time and the soapy water redoubled again! Perhaps with half amount I would have been more quiet, but the result wanted by my parents was a "caca caca song" sung at the top of my voice and probably for that a belly like a balloon was doing excellently the job!

Author:
CaLeb76
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013, 03:28: pm

I think it has more to do with improvements in enema gear, and not a drop in the popularity of enemas. Comparing a squeeze bulb syringe to a large volume bag and nozzle is like comparing a horse to an automobile. Unlike a squeeze bulb enema, a bag enema requires only one insertion of the nozzle, which is more comfortable for the receiver. A bag enema usually contains more than enough solution to induce peristalsis without the need to refill. Also, a squeeze bulb enema often requires the recipient to assume the embarrassing knee-chest position, where they have to be fully exposed to the nurse/giver during the whole procedure.

Author:
robb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013, 01:53: am

I disagree, both the bulb and the bag were made simultaneously for many decades and both have advantages in certain situations. Obviously a bag doesn't have to be refilled like a bulb but if the patient is an infant or young child a few ounces is enough to relieve constipation. A bulb would appear less threatening to a child than a bag and would be quicker to prepare. I believe it is a combination of the fact that enemas for young children are not as common and that a higher percentage of the enemas given are with disposables than 30 or 40 years back.

Author:
kathy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013, 03:55: am

The bulbs I grew up with were red with a black pipe. Mom had three. A 1-1/2 oz, 4 oz and an 8 oz syringe were used depending on age. By the time I was 12 years old mom used the 8 oz syringe and about 8 bulbs were administered.
I don't remember the 1-1/2 oz bulb used on me but mom told me that was what she used as I saw her use it on my infant sister many times.
I became to enjoy the enemas as I grew older although I can't say the same for my three sisters as I would hear them cry as mom syringed them. No matter how much you protested the enema mom would administer the bulbs until the prescribed amount was given.

Author:
Sean
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013, 01:36: pm

Kathy,

Eight doses with an 8 Oz bulb is a MIGHTY enema, even for an adult. It's 2 quarts. Most theraputic adult enemas are about 1 1/2 quarts or about 6 bulbfulls.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: The decline of the red bulb

Author:
LS
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 09:15: am

Sean,

Kathy's memory is very believable. I also got quite a few bulb syringe enemas and as I grew older the size of the bulb increased. I seem to recall that at 11 my mother started using an 8 ounce bulb for my enemas and remember that she inserted it and squeezed at least eight or ten times. Eight squeezes is not a 2 quart enema since it's almost impossible to inject the entire eight ounces with each squeeze. Back in the fifties and early sixties anything but a completely filling enema was deemed ineffective and my mother was a great believer in volume. The first time that she gave me an enema with the bag, I took it with ease because her bulb syringe enemas were probably larger that the full two quart bag.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The decline of the red bulb

Author:
Roger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013, 11:02: pm

Hi
My first enema was with a red bulb enema syringe and Now I have a red bulb enema syringe that is about 15-20 ounces
that I use for some of my enemas that I give myself and like it very much and it has 2 nozzles and one of them is quite long and about 5-6 inches long which I enjoy up inside my rectum anytime.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.