VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:29:54 12/15/03 Mon
Author: Judith Rascoe
Subject: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer

Does anybody have information about the family - parents, brothers and sister, ?children - of the lightweight boxer Jack McAuliffe (he's on the McAuliffe Clann hall of fame)? He was born in March, 1866, probably in Cork, came to Maine as a child, and died in Queens in 1937. He had at least one brother, "Con" who's mentioned in news stories about him. I'm trying to pin down an old story in my family that our McAuliffes were related to him.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer -- Tom Gately, 13:29:00 06/22/08 Sun

>Judith,
Jack the boxer is related to Fannie McAuliffe. Jack's father was Cornelius McAuliffe, one of Fannies brothers. The other brothers were Maurice, David and John. Cornelius was involved in the Fenian group in Ireland & came to Maine to escape the British authorities. He joined the US Army & after saving enough money, brought his wife and family to Maine.
Jack's brother was named Cornelius & called "Con" as a nickname.
>

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer -- Monte Hennessy (Hennessy), 11:58:01 08/28/12 Tue

>>Judith,
>Jack the boxer is related to Fannie McAuliffe. Jack's
>father was Cornelius McAuliffe, one of Fannies
>brothers. The other brothers were Maurice, David and
>John. Cornelius was involved in the Fenian group in
>Ireland & came to Maine to escape the British
>authorities. He joined the US Army & after saving
>enough money, brought his wife and family to Maine.
>Jack's brother was named Cornelius & called "Con" as a
>nickname.
>>My great grandfather,John McAuliffe is thought by my family to be Jacks uncle IE; a brother to Cornelius senior.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer -- Sheila Moffat, 02:06:17 02/15/10 Mon

>Does anybody have information about the family -
>parents, brothers and sister, ?children - of the
>lightweight boxer Jack McAuliffe (he's on the
>McAuliffe Clann hall of fame)? He was born in March,
>1866, probably in Cork, came to Maine as a child, and
>died in Queens in 1937. He had at least one brother,
>"Con" who's mentioned in news stories about him. I'm
>trying to pin down an old story in my family that our
>McAuliffes were related to him.

My Grandfather Victor McAuliffe was related to Jack McAuliffe they came from Cork and Waterford in Southern Ireland, I'm not sure whether jack was his brother or his Uncle they were a large family and my grandad was the youngest as far as I know. I only knew some of my Grandads brothers and sisters the rest emigrated the ones I knew were Edward, Gerald, Geraldine and Gertrude they moved to England, Lilly stayed in Ireland. My Grandad was born in 1903 his dad was very old when he was born. Jacks dad was Cornelias and his Mother was Jane Bailey I have only just started looking into this if I get any more information I will pass it on. My grandad ran away and joined the merchant navy he sailed the square riggers and eventually became a radio operator he used to teach me morse code. he died in 1969. We only have one McAuliffe left and thats Terry the son of Gerald.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer -- Peter Burns (Jack McAuliffe Champion boxer), 09:58:36 01/17/11 Mon

I've got a newspaper clipping from the Bangor Daily News that talks about Malachi McAuliffe. He came to the US from Newmarket of county cork in the spring of 1840...he had a daughter Katherine (my great, great grandmother and had an only son (according to the article) Jack McAuliffe who reigned as lightweight champion of the world from 1884 - 1896.. He retired from ring and died at age of 71 in 1937 in New York. His father Malachi died at the solders home at togus in 1910 at the age of 92. I believe his wife was katherine connors or Catherine Connors -- they lived in Hampden Maine. It is said that he walked to St. johns church in bangor each week and helped lay the cornerstone

My mothers notes however say that Jack McAuliffe was actually Malachi's brothers boy....that in addition to the fact that our records show taht malahi and catherine connors did not have 2 children...they had six - william, milo, minnie, julia, eleanor, catherine

apparently there is a McAuliffe lot in the Mt Pleasant Cemetery, Bangor Maine

so I think the article in the bangor news is wrong... but I have a copy of it.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer -- Tricia, 00:53:46 06/09/12 Sat

My grandmother related to me that Jack McAuliffe was her cousin. I had a hard time finding the link and after 4 years did find out, that my great, great, great grandmother was Mary McAuliffe (she married Patrick Kenney) and they emigrated from Ireland. She was born around 1835, so I would guess she is either an Aunt or first cousin to Jack. She made mention of how he lost his diamond belt (I believe in a poker game) Based on all the research, I would guess Malachi was Cornelius' brother, and therefore uncle to Jack. I am still trying to find out who Mary McAuliffes parents or siblings would be too. Mary McAuliffe Kenney lived in NJ.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer -- GDoyle, 13:58:21 09/13/12 Thu

I am researching my Mcauliffe ancestors and have letters dating back to 1992 from a 2nd cousin of my mother stating that Jack McAuliffe was a relation and visited his cousins in Baltimore & Denver. The info that I have is that Jack's father Cornelius was married in Cork City where Jack was born. Cornelius is I believe my great-great grandfather's nephew. My ancestors did not come from Newmarket and I have found birth records to prove this. The name Malachi is definitely not in the family. I assume that my great-great grandfather had sisters but I doubt if your Mary is one as I know that my great-great grandparents married in 1836, and it is very unlikely that he would have any siblings born in 1835. By coincidence, a descendant of a McAuliffe of Baltimore, Maryland who was a younger brother of my great grandfther married a Jerome Kenney & lived in Baltimore. Perhaps this is your connection?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer -- GDoyle, 02:41:18 08/25/12 Sat

Jack McAuliffe was born in Christchurch Lane, off South Main Street in Cork City parents Cornelius McAuliffe & Jane Bailey. Christchurch Lane was demolished some years ago, no trace remains of his home. Cornelius (Jack's father) was the son of Cornelius McAuliffe born approx 1820 (presumably in Churchtown or Ballyhea Co, Cork, definitely NOT from Newmarket). I cannot find birth records for Jack's father or grandfather. Jack's grandfather Cornelius had at least 3 btothers that I know of. They were Patrick, Thomas & John. Patrick & Thomas stayed in ireland, John emigrated to Baltimore. Patrick had 2 children who moved to Idaho & a son who was a priest in LA. Thomas was the father of Fannie, Maurice, David & John and had a son & 2 daughters who remained in Ireland.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer -- mike johnson (happy), 12:51:04 09/04/12 Tue

"Con" was a short name for Jack's older brother Cornelius. Cornelius married Jane Elizabeth Cabble, of the then locally-famous Cabble Wire Works, Brooklyn. Jane E. Cabble was my Great Grandmother's sister.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+12
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.