VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:58:36 01/17/11 Mon
Author: Peter Burns (Jack McAuliffe Champion boxer)
Subject: Re: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer
In reply to: Sheila Moffat 's message, "Re: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer" on 02:06:17 02/15/10 Mon

I've got a newspaper clipping from the Bangor Daily News that talks about Malachi McAuliffe. He came to the US from Newmarket of county cork in the spring of 1840...he had a daughter Katherine (my great, great grandmother and had an only son (according to the article) Jack McAuliffe who reigned as lightweight champion of the world from 1884 - 1896.. He retired from ring and died at age of 71 in 1937 in New York. His father Malachi died at the solders home at togus in 1910 at the age of 92. I believe his wife was katherine connors or Catherine Connors -- they lived in Hampden Maine. It is said that he walked to St. johns church in bangor each week and helped lay the cornerstone

My mothers notes however say that Jack McAuliffe was actually Malachi's brothers boy....that in addition to the fact that our records show taht malahi and catherine connors did not have 2 children...they had six - william, milo, minnie, julia, eleanor, catherine

apparently there is a McAuliffe lot in the Mt Pleasant Cemetery, Bangor Maine

so I think the article in the bangor news is wrong... but I have a copy of it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer -- Tricia, 00:53:46 06/09/12 Sat

My grandmother related to me that Jack McAuliffe was her cousin. I had a hard time finding the link and after 4 years did find out, that my great, great, great grandmother was Mary McAuliffe (she married Patrick Kenney) and they emigrated from Ireland. She was born around 1835, so I would guess she is either an Aunt or first cousin to Jack. She made mention of how he lost his diamond belt (I believe in a poker game) Based on all the research, I would guess Malachi was Cornelius' brother, and therefore uncle to Jack. I am still trying to find out who Mary McAuliffes parents or siblings would be too. Mary McAuliffe Kenney lived in NJ.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Jack McAuliffe, the champion boxer -- GDoyle, 13:58:21 09/13/12 Thu

I am researching my Mcauliffe ancestors and have letters dating back to 1992 from a 2nd cousin of my mother stating that Jack McAuliffe was a relation and visited his cousins in Baltimore & Denver. The info that I have is that Jack's father Cornelius was married in Cork City where Jack was born. Cornelius is I believe my great-great grandfather's nephew. My ancestors did not come from Newmarket and I have found birth records to prove this. The name Malachi is definitely not in the family. I assume that my great-great grandfather had sisters but I doubt if your Mary is one as I know that my great-great grandparents married in 1836, and it is very unlikely that he would have any siblings born in 1835. By coincidence, a descendant of a McAuliffe of Baltimore, Maryland who was a younger brother of my great grandfther married a Jerome Kenney & lived in Baltimore. Perhaps this is your connection?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+12
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.