www.RectalTempForum.com
www.RectalTemperatureForum.com

VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat for Free
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Sons Rectal Temp

Author:
Mandy
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011, 10:00: am

My son woke up warm , so I took his rectal temperature and it was 99.6 on a rectal thermometer. (glass)Is he running a slight fever? He was warm and could it possible 99.6 for him could be a fever?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Sons Rectal Temp

Author:
Wayne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011, 11:27: am

How old is your son?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Sons Rectal Temp

Author:
mandy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011, 12:14: pm

He is 5 yrs old and didn't feel well

Author:
Alice
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011, 02:21: pm

It's a fever. 98.6 being normal.

I always had trouble taking my son's RT when they were young. Over the lap for better contol until they were too big. How did your son react?

Author:
crsofa
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011, 02:43: pm

99.6 is not a fever if the temperature is taken rectally. A rectal temperature of 100 or higher is considered a fever. 98.6 is the average normal for a temperature taken orally.

Author:
Wayne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011, 10:00: am

Usually a rectal temperature is taken at that age because an kid is thought to be able to b incapable of holding a thermometer in his mouth responsibly. What was the reason for taking a rectal temp instead of an oral temp?

Author:
Susan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011, 09:21: pm

Coughing or sore throat so therm can't stay in mouth'

Hyper kid who constantly moves the thermometer.
That was me Never could stay still. Got lots of rt's
Over moms lap until 9 with moms hand on my butt to hold me still then on bed on stomach. Mom had to hold my ankles.

Author:
Phillip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011, 06:01: am

A rectal temperature is necessary when a glass thermometer is used to take the temperature of a youngster that is not capable of holding a glass thermometer in his mouth without a serious mishap. This situation would likely arise for those parents and other caretakers of youngsters have not transitioned to electronic thermometers. When a glass thermometer is used to take a youngster's temperature, traditionally a parent or other caretaker would take a rectal temperature of a youngster up to the age of five or six across the board, or an older one possessing an intellectual deficit, emotional issues, or is too immature to take an oral temperature seriously. A caretaker may find taking the rectal temperature of a youngster particularly appealing in that the only thing required of the youngster is to remain passive while the caretaker unmasks his rear end and spreads his cheeks to gain physical and visual accesses the youngster's anal opening thus enabling penetration of the glass rectal thermometer through it and guide it into his rectal interior. In addition, the caretaker may gain a sense of satisfaction with the realization that the glass rectal thermometer is securely lodged in his rear end by his tight anal opening and pliable rectal interior.

Using this criteria, for example, could mean that a family with a seven boy and 11 year old girl would have their temperatures taken orally while a 9 year old boy with a somewhat intellectual deficit would continue to have his temperature taken rectally if it was felt that holding a glass thermometer in his mouth responsibly would be too challenging for him. The most likely scenario however would be if the nine year old boy that is somewhat scholastically challenged would be placed with extended family where glass thermometers are still used. Thus, a combination of being unfamiliar with having his temperature taken with a glass thermometer and an uncertainty about him being capable of holding a glass thermometer would give his caretaker grounds to pursue taking his temperature rectally for an indefinite period time to come.

Author:
Phillip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 12:28: pm

n addition, the nine year old boy living with extended family may be mandated to have his temperature taken rectally with or without his consent or approval. He may even express a strong objection at having his temperature taken in his "butt", which underscores his knowledge that rectal temperatures are reserved for a five year old boy and that he is not allowed the privilege that his peers in the household enjoy of having their temperatures taken in their mouths. However, his protests and complaints, even while the his temperature is being taken, would need to be dismissed by his caretaker and can lead to scolding him about not acting his age and signify to him why the glass thermometer is which would used to further justify why the glass rectal thermometer is planted in his rear end. On the other hand, the caretaker may also respond to his protests by informing him of benefits in getting his temperature taken in his rear end, such as the thermometer feels a lot more comfortable there than you mouth and with the thermometer inside your rear end you can talk all you want.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Sons Rectal Temp

Author:
hollie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 12:32: pm

My son wil not do his temp any other way then rectal. He ben really sick since he ben small. He only 5. He my talker. Yesterday he had a doctors appointment to make sure teh cnacer getting better. His nurse tried an oral he would not shut his mouth. She toldhim then rectal. He go ahead. I dont fight him to do rectal. I say its his choice.

Author:
Phillip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011, 01:44: pm

Should anyone be interested, I have written in detail more about the process of taking the rectal temperature of a youngster above the mandatory age of five or six, and using the less functional nine year old boy. If not, that is OK too.

Author:
Marcus
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011, 04:02: pm

I dont think a boy of nine needs to have any intellectual or functional problems to justify a rectal temptaking. Its the most accurate way to measure anyones temperature and it certainly should be used also on youngsters.

Author:
Phillip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011, 08:18: pm

I welcome the opinion of anyone. This discussion would also apply to those caretakers that believe that all youngsters have their temperatures taken rectally using a glass thermometer.

Author:
Mike T
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011, 09:40: pm

Let's hear your story. I got my RT taken at nine and later years too. good to hear how others got it boys or girls

Author:
Phillip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 03:37: pm

The boy also will likely experience embarrassment at having his temperature taken rectally. He may want to keep it secret from the other youngsters in the household. However, it may soon become apparent as the caretaker announces that it's time to take his temperature and totes him to her bedroom and closes the door. The curiosity of the other youngsters may provoke them to listen at the door and even sneak a peek though a slightly open door. Their remarks to him and obvious amusement later on would reveal their knowledge and which would trigger him to feel even more embarrassed then and even more so a few hours later the next time his temperature is taken. Perhaps a no privacy doctrine has some merit because it removes the cloak of secrecy of getting a rectal temperature. In other words, taking his temperature in the open in plain view of other members household, and in particular other youngsters, removes the secretive element from the experience, the embarrassment may play itself out over time.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Sons Rectal Temp

Author:
Mike W
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 09:37: pm

Mom had the habit of bringing one of us into her bedroom to take out RT. Pants off and lay on our stomach on her bed. She always kept the door open.

Of course if we were home, we peeked. Giggled at him after after he left the room. Of course if it was mine turn, they did the same to me.

Author:
Phillip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011, 05:11: pm

I have written more in detail about the rectal temperature experience. Anyone interested?

Author:
david (:=o)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 08:31: pm

Love to hear more phillip, im me at temprise98@yahoo.com

Author:
James
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 03:46: pm

I'm 13 and I have a younger brother aged 11 and an older brother 16 years old we all have rectal temperatures taken regularly

Author:
Kevin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011, 10:04: pm

James, do you or your brothers ever get aspirin suppositories if you have a fever?

Author:
philip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014, 11:41: pm

I'm interested to know if you or your brothers have a problem with getting your temperature taken rectally. Many people on this forum have a preconceived notion that kids your age have a natural aversion to rectal temperatures. My son had no problem with getting his temperature taken rectally. You seem okay with it. If you are okay with it then you blast alot of the folks right out of the water-like Tim- who seem to think a child will become abnormal or have fetishes etc from having their temperature taken. Please post a reply. Your feelings and insight interest me.

Author:
Caleb76
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 10:28: pm

My wife has taken our son's rectal temperature because he felt a little warm, and had readings around 100.2F. But he apparently wasn't sick. He ran around and played like there wasn't a worry in the world. We asked the pediatrician during his next routine visit, and she said toddler temperatures tend to run a little higher in the summer months, even being indoors. She also said a temperature taken rectally will also run about 1 to 1.2 degrees higher than you would normally expect with oral or ear thermometer readings.

Author:
david
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 08:51: pm

caleb love your posts would love to know more

Author:
Kyle
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011, 09:41: pm

For some reason I still do not know, mom always took our
rt while she was preparing the enema equipment.

We laid over a stool, mom put the rt up my butt and I waited
She took it out and started my enema. Every time

Author:
KenW
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011, 10:49: pm

RT before enema is more common then people would think mom always took my brother and I's RT before she gave us an enema and usually got bag ready while the RT was in us.

Author:
Karla
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011, 11:08: am

I discovered a parents group that emphasizes the use of glass thermometers to take the temperature of children as well as other traditional medical ideas. It seems that taking a child's temperature rectally is the best alternative where an oral temperature where a child cannot be expected to have a successful outcome from having an oral temperature taken. Having an 8 year old boy with a moderate learning disorder I have come to value the glass rectal thermometer to capture a temperature reading that would not otherwise be possible with a glass oral thermometer. Here it is: http://cmctf.grouply.com/. It doesn't seem very active. Yet at least.

Author:
123qwe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011, 03:57: pm

Is there rectal temps. pic. on it? If so can you please post it?

Author:
Pam
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 05:25: am

I have been taking care of my 8 year old nephew Jason for a couple of weeks now for my sister who is "unavailable" to take that responsibility and will continue for the long haul. When I was growing there were no electric thermometers and I have been using a stubby tip glass one for myself whenever needed. I intend to take Jason's temperature with a glass one. It is only a question to take his temperature oral or rectal. When I was growing up it was common to require a rectal temperature for kid up to the age of 5 years old. I figure that Jason being about as mature as a five year old he should have his temperature taken rectally just like a five year old.

Fortunately there is a semi-retired GP in town that has a limited number of patients and he caters to disadvantaged youngsters in the community who he still uses glass thermometers. When I visited his office assured me that using a glass thermometer is fine but to be extremely careful in handing it and agreed that it would be in Jason's best interest to have his temperature taken rectally. I got a few veterinary type glass rectal thermometers that is longer (five inches long) than mine and a lot thicker as well. I think the fact that he could feel that thermometer parked in his rear end better and that it sticking out farther would be his least concern at the time his temperature is being taken. That is, I figure that it won't take long for him to figure out that most his peers to go to the doctor have their temperatures taken in their mouths while he is still having his temperature taken in his rear end like a five year old which is the cutoff age there. When I brought that up the doctor said that the volunteer who job it is take temperatures has developed an expertise at dismantling complaints that would arise when he takes a kid's temperature that way. I was made apparent to me that Jason would not have any more privacy than a younger kid, which is to say next to nothing there (another old tradition than hangs on there). To me that just goes along with getting it taken that way.

It is now a question of whether to wait until he has a fever, or as the doctor recommends to get him used to it while he is well by bringing him in for frequent "checkups" for a period of time at no charge. From what I gather the volunteer that takes temperatures would be more than pleased to do it. I am in favor of that option because there is a lot I can learn from him, however, I would be more than pleased myself to take his temperature rectally whenever the opportunity arises.

Author:
Marcus
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013, 07:01: am

Has Jason got used to rectal temperatures yet? Its 2 years ago since the story about him was posted so he should now be about the same age as Tim.

Tim is the son of my best friend. He is soon 11 and last time when he was sick they had to visit the Doctor. The Doctor examined Tim and took his temperature in his ear.
As Tims temperature had been much higher taken rectally shortly before at home my friend told the Doctor about it.
The Doctor immediately agreed that a rectal temperature is much more reliable than any other method. So he ordered Tim to lay down on his stomach while preparing a rectal temp for him.
Inserting the temp however wasnt that easy even for the Doctor. My friend told the Doctor he had the same experience. Tim always complained that the insertion hurted.
The Doctor however had a simple solution to the problem. He switched the sharp-pointed electronic thermometer to an old-fashioned glass thermometer. That one obviously slid into Tims rectum without problem. Tim was a bit bothered because the temptaking took a bit longer. But the result showed he still had a rather high temperature.

The Doctor admitted rectal temps are in fact the only reliable ones and he encouraged my friend to continue taking Tims temperature that way.

Tim got his medicin and to exclude there was some other problem causing the pain for Tim upon the insertion of the thermometer the Doctor examined his rectal area visually as well as with a lubricated finger. Nothing was wrong except that Tim was ordered an enema when coming back home.

I was told this story when I visited my friends home some time ago. The boy overheard parts of the discussion and got pretty embarrassed. His father told him not to get upset about it because Im just an old friend to the family and when we two grew up it was the same also for us.

From his father I learned that giving the boy enemas now and then wasnt always that easy. But the big problem was still inserting the electronic thermometer with its sharp end. I told him next time I visit Ill bring an old-fashioned glass thermometer same as the one the Doctor used when taking Tims temp at the hospital.

So now I have the delicate task choosing the "perfect" thermometer for an eleven yo boy from my "collection". It will certainly be the European model with a pear-shaped mercury-filled bulb for easy penetration and insertion and a wide body for staying safely in place once inserted.

Author:
philip (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014, 02:17: am

I was the preferred babysitter for many of my friend's children as well as my own nieces and nephews. I was at a friend's house one night and their 5 year old son was sick. I told my friends that I could probably get him to let me take his temperature rectally without tears if they'd let us do it in private. I took the boy into his bedroom and told him I needed to take his temperature in his butt with his old baby thermometer. He told me he liked it better in his butt anyway and he happily took off his pajamas and underwear and laid down across my lap with no hassle. As I slipped the thermometer up his butt and began counting down the four minutes I usually leave a thermometer in place, I asked him why he did not mind me taking his temperature but he hated it when his mom took it. He told me : You're a boy. I don't mind another boy seeing me naked.

He did have a fever of about 103 degrees. From then on, until he was 12, he chose a rectal thermometer anytime I babysat him when he was sick.

Author:
jacobs (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 10:15: am

When I was a child and a teenager I was sick a lot. Usually I had many Bronchitis attack.
It appeared at mornings with coughs and heavy breathings.my mom would take my temp. call the doctor and it ended with antibiotics.
As a child mom checked me fever in my butt over her knees. At age 7 she replaced the rectal thermometer with an oral and my life continues.
Until one morning at age 15, my mom was ready to get out to her work, and I was still in bed, coughing with runny nose, usually she dropped me by my school on her way to her office.
This morning when she saw her time is running, she called me from downstairs to hurry up it become late, I whispered I am sick and she came to my room, very nervous, for not telling her earlier about my sickness, "do you have an exam to day?" she asked. She was sure I'm doing myself. I said I have fever, she put her backhand on my forehead announced "you don't have fever", I yield "I do have, I do have!" but she was sealed and said "get up, get your dresses and go to school at that minute!", I laid at bed, coughing and sneezing, with no attend to get up.
"All right" she said," let's put it to end once and for all." I didn't know what she meant, I wanted to sleep, she left my room and I turn my back to the door, cover myself toe to head. Few minutes later she came back, calling me to get up and over her knees, "Why, what do you mean" I asked. My mom said, "Because you are sick every now and then, I'm going to take your temperature the accurate way, which means at your butt." I didn't know what to say, I was too weak to resistance, this is my mother, she probably knows what she's doing.
Mom took off the blanket, held my hand and pulled me out of bad, she sat on a chair next to my bed, on the counter I saw my old rectal thermometer, jar of Vaseline, and a wet tissue box.
While ordered me to pull down my pajama, she helped me pull it down and patted her hip,
"Come on, lay over my knees, and bottom up". I laid their motionless, she pulled my boxers down to my knees, revealing my behind, "Well, well," she said, "It's been sometime since I last took your temperature at your butt, how well you developed at your puberty". I blushed and she said no more.
Over my shoulder I could see how she prepared the thermometer for inserting, shook and lubricated it with Vaseline, all the time my butt was high on her knee and cool air gave me Goosebumps, then put her left hand on my buttocks, open the cheek to view my anus, slowly and gently she inserted the thermometer into me, she held the thermometer in place with one hand and the other rested on my low back to prevent me of moving. I felt like a small child, vulnerable, with mom taking care of me. I said nothing just laid over her knees, dreaming about childhood and the many times when mom took me to ER, where the nurses also took my rectal temperature and I was in their good hands.
The 4 minutes had passed quickly, mom pulled it out and announced "102, my dear, we go right away to the hospital."
She helped me to get up, stood me in front of her, and assisted me with my pants and shoes.
That was the last time mom took my temperature in my butt.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.