Welcome to the original Rectal Temperature Message Board.

VoyForums

Natural Pain Relief

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: How old is too old take child's rectal temperature

Author:
rb
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2011, 07:21: pm

At what age is it appropriate to switch over to oral or ear temperature in your son or daughter? What if he or she does not mind if you continue taking his or her rectal temperature?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: How old is too old take child's rectal temperature

Author:
ryan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2011, 07:29: pm

I believe that you can keep taking the child's rectal temperature until they say something about it and object about it. Otherwise keep taking that child's rectal temperature. As long as they don't complain your getting the most accurate reading anyway, so take it rectal while you can, especially if they run a high fever, rectal is the reading that YOU want.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: How old is too old take child's rectal temperature

Author:
Steven Peterson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013, 01:30: am

A friend of my wife had her 12 yo son stay with us for about 6 months. One morning he said he was ill and my wife went to take his temperature. She soon came and got me telling me he'd asked her to do it rectally because he was accustomed to it that way. She'd called to his mother to confirm it but made me do it as she felt he'd be more comfortable with another male. I felt quite uncomfortable doing it, but he was completely fine with it (so much so that he seemed to feel 'feverish' nearly every week).

Author:
Sarah's daughter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011, 04:44: am

In our family children are asked at 6 or 7 if they want to continue rectal temps. Knowing parents use rectal tenps for themselves, all children have continued.
As far as I know, above the age of 8 rectal temps are used only in families they are also used in adults.
Hugs
Little Helen

Author:
Tim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011, 09:24: am

Recent pediatric guidelines restrict the age to around one or two years old. I'm not in a position to judge, but I would agree that rectal is extremely rare today, at least in the U.S., and if you subject an older child or teen to it, you might find yourself battling criminal charges. Today there are social workers in schools, and they take the kids aside, and ask them detailed and personal questions about what goes on in their home. Pediatricians are also on that bandwagon. I've personally seen this happen.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: How old is too old take child's rectal temperature

Author:
Sarah's daughter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011, 12:24: pm

In Germany this isnt a problem.
Hugs
Little Helen

Author:
kerry999
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011, 05:39: pm

Typically, the child will tell you. If it isn't a problem for them, there is no reason to switch. I received regular rectal temps until I was around 9 or 10. Of course, this was 30+ years ago and customs and thinking have changed. Most young families today are completely unfamiliar with the rectal method.

If the child prefers it rectally (as the many posters on this board can attest) they won't broach the topic of switching. And neither should you.

[> Subject: In Response to Tim's Post

Author:
Mike
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011, 08:24: am

I am not saying what Tim says is not true, but this would be a form of entrapment. Asking a young child what goes on in their home concerning what?

If you want to give your child a rectal temp or enema at any age no one can really stop you. This is your child! When the child turns 18 years old, they are on their own. Of course logically, no normal family would continue with these practices at that age.

What I think Tim is saying is if their is an indication from the child that abuse might be going on in the household, then and only then would counselors get involved. I hope that is what he meant. As a free country, parents have the right to treat their kids the way they feel comfortable with and if this includes giving a rectal temp or enema to their child, NO ONE should stop them. I could see lawsuits coming from school officials interferring with what goes on in the privacy of ones home concerning this. I still know families who use rectal temps on their children who are in the 8 to 10 year old range. You mean to tell me, if one of these overpaid social workers from their school asks them personal questions about how they get their temperature taken, the parents can get in trouble?? That is ludicrous.

[> [> Subject: Re: In Response to Tim's Post

Author:
Tim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011, 09:16: am

Social workers, school "counselors," and others, including physicians, are "supposedly" "representing" the child's "best interests," and are attempting to prevent and report abuse, yes, that's true. HOWEVER...parents have been falsely accused AND CONVICTED of crimes that they never committed, BASED ON the FALSE TESTIMONY of the child AND/OR the "OFFICIALS"....(social workers, etc.) Abuse is often left to interpretation. Sexual or physical abuse SHOULD be punished. I have no problem with that. Taking a child's rectal temp., may be "CONSIDERED" to be sexual abuse, depending on who reports it, and how the STORY is presented. In other words...our society has a history of hurting well-meaning INNOCENT parents and caregivers.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: In Response to Tim's Post

Author:
philip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014, 02:56: am

I agree with you tim. I know of several legal cases where taking a child's rectal temperature was the genesis of criminal prosecution. And a number of these resulted in bogus prison time.

It is all in the way the truth is interpreted and presented.

Author:
Sarah
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 06:29: pm

I just gotta say you really cracked me up. Overpaid social worker? You insane? They get paid dirt and a masters degree is required. If a parent is sticking a thermometer up their ten year old child's rectum the issue isn't "freedom to parent" It's that the child's pants are off and their parents are touching them and penetrating them with a foreign object which could QUICKLY become something far less innocent than checking their temperature.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: In Response to Tim's Post

Author:
philip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 04:01: am

If social workers are trying to entrap parents or caregivers into legal entanglements by representing the taking of a rectal temperature as a species of abuse, THEN THEY MOST ASSUREDLY ARE OVERPAID. BECAUSE THEY ARE NO LONGER FUNCTIONING AS SOCIAL WORKERS. They have crossed a line somewhere and become witch hunters. Any amount of pay at all is too much under those circumstances.

If they interfered with my children I'd have them in civil court so fast the print would peel off of their certificates and/or diplomas.

Author:
Marianne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014, 12:12: pm

In Germany no one thinks of prosecuting parents because of giving rectal temps or enemas to their children. But I dont think it is a good idea to give children rectal temps up to 18 without asking them. My mother asked me if I wanted to continue rectal temps at 6 or 7. And I didnt see a reason to change as rectal temps were also taken in adults in our family. I think there is hardly a mother in Germany taking rectal temps in children over 7 and not in herself.
Hugs
Marianne

Author:
Steve B
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011, 11:03: am

Our pediatrician in Indiana switched patients from rectal to oral at age seven. I found this out when my mother tried to get them to take my sister's temp orally even though she was five. No dice - it was taken rectally. I often find myself wondering if they would have continued taking my temp rectally past seven, had I asked.

Author:
Phillip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011, 01:53: pm

Rectal temperatures are desired should the caretaker of a youngster be prefer to use a glass thermometer to take the temperature of a youngster and the youngster is not thought to be capable of keeping a glass oral thermometer in his mouth intact. The general rule of thumb has been to continuing taking a rectal temperature across the board through the age of five years old. From the age of six years and above, a youngster may have his temperature taken rectally with a glass rectal thermometer should his caretaker find him unsuitable for an oral temperature using characteristic such as an intellectual deficit (indicated by struggling in school, unable to follow instructions, etc.), poor behavior, emotional issues, and so forth.

Author:
diane
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011, 07:53: pm

My kids are first given an oral thermometer. If they don't cooperate thenthey get the rectal thermometer.

Author:
Simon
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011, 01:38: pm

My sister who is 4 years older than me got her temperature taken rectally when we went for doctor's checkups until after she turned 9 years old. We always went into the examination room together.The nurse always took her temperature first.She hated that.Looking back on it now I wonder why.Was it a 'ladies first' thing or was it because she was older?Can anyone here relate?

Author:
Johnson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011, 04:15: pm

When I was younger, each room in our pediatrician's office had an oral and a rectal thermometer. My brother, who was two years older, got the oral thermometer and the chair next to my mother. Meanwhile, I got to be up on the examining table on my tummy with the rectal thermometer in my tush. That continued throughout grade school.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: How old is too old take child's rectal temperature

Author:
Steve B
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012, 10:09: pm

I remember that, too. I'd have my temp taken orally, sitting on a chair while my sister, who is two years younger, had hers taken rectally on the examining table. I was seven and she was five; our pediatrician switched you over at seven.

Author:
Ryan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012, 02:29: am

I am 16 years old and My doctor still takes my temperature rectally when I am sick and I go to his office. At home, my mom still uses this method

Author:
To Ryan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012, 12:03: pm

What state and city do you live in? Do you have friends your age who have this done to them ? I think that anyone past 5 or 6 who has a rectal temp. taken, would signal a red flag. Have you spoken up about this, or are you o.k. with it ? Does your mom take her temp. rectally ?

Author:
Ryan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 12:57: pm

I am 14 years old and I live in georgia-the city of washington. My friend who go to the same pediatrician all have our temps taken this way-it is the only method that Dr. Thornburgh uses. I guess I am ok with this. As far as my mom-she is a nurse so she says this is the best way to do it

Author:
Seth
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 03:01: pm

Hey Ryan--You and I have alot in common-tell me more about your experiences with the doctor

Author:
Kevin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 10:17: pm

I live in W. Virginia in a community with only two doctors and one outside town and one is a GP is a paying doctor that takes kids as patients. The doctor outside town takes in all of the kids that have parents that pay what they can. He and his assistant still use glass thermometers and it is still accepted by the parents and others with kids.

What that has to do with this group is that his assistant is very handy with a glass rectal thermometer. That is all I can say about it.

Author:
jack
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012, 04:29: pm

i think a childs teperature should be taken rectally until he or she complains or is not able to hold it in their mouth. i think a temperature taken rectally is more acurate then a oral temperature.

Author:
Pat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012, 12:18: pm

Theres is no ages limit.

Author:
Ryan to seth
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012, 01:11: pm

Neat-tell me what you want to discuss and I will tell you about it-it is really no big deal to tell you what you want to know

Author:
John
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 05:12: pm

I would encourage any one of you to speak with at least 5 pediatricians on the subjct of age and rectal temp. taking. I think for those die hard beleivers in the old fashioned way, a.k.a. rectal temps., you will find that kids just don't have it taken that way anymore, and haven't for at least 15-20 years. Social attitudes and technology have changed everything.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: How old is too old take child's rectal temperature

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 11:38: pm

That is true in a civilized society, which is true for maybe 99.X% of the medical practices or clinics. I wonder about the other balance of medical practices and clinics. It would really have to be out in the wilderness somewhere.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: How old is too old take child's rectal temperature

Author:
Tim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 01:26: pm

Even if the medical facility were located on the "outskirts" of civilization, provided that it's somewhere in the U.S., and the doctor(s) were board certified in this country, it would be reasonable to assume that modern techniques would be used,including taking vital signs.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: How old is too old take child's rectal temperature

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012, 12:17: pm

I suppose that the availability of electronic thermometers would have any bearing on continuing to choose the standard glass thermometer to take temperatures. Although cost might be a factor, more than likely it would be a matter of choice.

That being said, locating a medical practice that continues to employ the glass thermometer to take the temperature of patients would be quite a challenge.

Author:
Clint
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 07:53: pm

My son is 6 now, and everytime my wife takes him to the doctor for a regular checkup, they use an exorgen or ear thermometer. But if he's sick and with an evident fever, the nurse there still prefers to take it rectally just to be safe. He's gotten use to the comfort and "dignity" of the ear thermometers, so he gets really upset when she uses the rectal one on him like she did 2 weeks ago when he nearly had the flu.

Author:
chris
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012, 03:23: am

All peoples are never to old for rectal temp taking.
RT is the most accurate way to take the temp.
Childs and Teens dont like this way.
Think you in your child, will you get your temp taken this way (or show your naked butt)from your parents at shool age?
Take your RT in front of your kids, say it is normal and that they can take it to yourself this way.
I think this is the best way that your kids accept RT.

Author:
Tim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 07:00: pm

My temperature was always taken rectally when I went to my doctor's office until I was almost 13 years old!The staff at his office always insisted on letting them take my temperature that way,claiming that "it was in my best interest to get it taken that way" and my mom always took their side so I had to endure that terrible indignity every time even when I was only there for a wellness visit.The staff seemed to be openly amused about this and I can
t help but to think that I my mom and I were taken advantage of.Does anyone here have a similar experience?

Author:
kenw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 05:38: pm

As kid i had rt at my doctors to age 13 this was in South Dakota i turned 13 in 1971.

Author:
Kenny
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 08:31: pm

I gre up in the 1950's. Enemas were common. I know I got quite a few.

Whenever I had a cold, Mom always took my Temperature rectally. Most of the time I got called into her bedroom where she was shaking the thermometer. A towel was spread on her bed. Soon I was laying on my stomach with my pants down around my ankles. Mom didn't say anything. I felt the RT go in waited a few moments and then she took it out. Got up and left. This went on until end of High school.

The one time I really remember was I was going to take a bath. I was about to get into the bathtub when I heard mom call me to come to her bedroom. I put a towel around me and went. She was there shaking the RT I took off my towel and laid naked over the bed. In went the RT. Mom casually asked if I had a BM today. I said "no". Mom left then came back some minutes later. After she took the RT out, I went back into the bathroom. Mom had the enema bulb out and I got one of her standard 2 bulbfull
enema.

[> Subject: Don't do it at all with real children in 2012

Author:
Brendon
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 10:22: pm

In this day and age, I would not recommend taking a child's rectal temperature at all. There is no longer any reason for it, they have a number of other options for taking temperatures, and they don't have to be that accurate to know whether you should take your child in or not.

Back when we were growing up, thermometers were all glass, and boys especially got their temps taken rectally for safety reasons. Coughing or gagging a glass thermometer out of a mouth and breaking it could be very dangerous, so it was just safer to take it rectally. Those memories impacted a lot of us for years to come.

Now there is no mercury, no glass, and no concern for safety. They sell forehead scanners that take a reading in two seconds, and it's accurate enough to know if something is seriously wrong. They also sell ear thermometers, and other varieties. If you can't afford those options, rectal for babies (like under 3 years old) is about as far as I would go.

[> [> Subject: Re: Don't do it at all with real children in 2012

Author:
Jenny Lee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012, 02:32: pm

Well I'm 36 and I still get my temperature taken rectally when I go my doctor.I have just always preferred to get it taken that way because one:it's more accurate and two:it's easier for me to get it taken that way.My doctor is fairly old and they still use the standard glass/mercury thermometers at his office.I've been going to him ever since I was a little girl and so I'm very comfortable with going to see him.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Don't do it at all with real children in 2012

Author:
Michelle
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 07:55: am

Well my doctor is really not that old and it is his practice to require a rectal temperature for all physicals regardless of age. Similarly, one is required to remove all clothing and wear a gown for the exam unless its an exam for children. He provides gowns for teens but not for children under the age of 10. We have gone to him for the last 6 years, I am a 40 year old female with two children, twins, age 13, and they blush but still turn over when told to do so.

[> [> Subject: Re: Don't do it at all with real children in 2012

Author:
Rob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 03:49: pm

Rectal is much more accurate and sometimes needed for a child under the age of 5:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_rectal_temperature_more_accurate

http://www.waybuilder.net/sweethaven/medtech/vitals/default.asp?iNum=0205

http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler-health/taking-temperature.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK3XVr2CzvM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK3XVr2CzvM

Author:
Tom2
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013, 11:21: am

Most websites I have seen on the subject of taking a child's temperature suggest that once a child is capable of cooperating for an oral temperature taking (usually between 3-5 years old), rectal temperature taking in older children is only suggested in extreme cases, or is a viable option if there is a contraindication to using other methods.

Author:
karyn
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013, 10:38: pm

I think 7 is a good age. My last rectal temp was at in the hospital but only twicewhen i was groggy from anesthesia.i got oral temps in my room. I hated the rectals and for some strange reason i never really got sick or went to the doctor from age 8-18 and therefore never had my temp taken. I only remember going to the doc when i was 13 for a tdap vaccination and no temp. But when i got sick at 18 i didnt even own a thermometer so i went to the drugstore and bought myself a rectal thermometer because i was strangely craving it. And its been rectal ever since. I manage to getit done at my docs office cause i am honest about my experience and surprisingly she says its not a big deal. What a relief!

Author:
Julie S
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013, 08:10: am

We live in a small town in VA that has a health clinic attached to a local post ofice. The doctor there is an older woman who takes everyone's temp rectally.

Author:
Brenda
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013, 08:02: pm

Hi, Julie. I sure wish I lived in your town. You are so lucky to have that doctor. I have experienced every response from "You're kidding, right?" to stares at me like I was from another planet to just plain ignoring me when I request to have my temp taken rectally as an adult. Oh, and there's always that old standby--"We don't do that." Geez, you'd think I was asking them to commit a crime or something. Anyway, it does my heart good to hear that some doc somewhere still believes in the good old reliable rectal method. Does she still have old fashioned glass mercury thermometers, too? Hugs, Brenda.

Author:
Julie S
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013, 11:03: pm

I guess I just didn't think it was that unusual. She has used both glass and digital.

Author:
Temptaker4u
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013, 09:32: pm

I live in VA as well. Can you tell me what town you live in, or, can you email that info to me if you do not want to make it public? I think I need a new Dr.!!
Temptaker4u@hotmail.com

Author:
Marc
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013, 11:48: am

My mom would take my RT until I was 19 and moved out of the house during my 2nd year of college. If I had a fever higher than 100.5 she gave me cool water enemas until my fever was normal or I was totally exhausted. Some of those enema sessions lasted for an hour or more. After each enema mom would bend me over the side of the tub and insert the thermometer. If she wasn't satisfied withe results back in the tub on my belly I would go. Lying on a towel she would proceed with another enema. When the bag was empty she would tell me to hold the cool water to pull the fever out of me. It was an exhausting process but it usually worked. I can remember having a 103 degree fever and having 7 or 8 enemas that nite. My butt was sore for a week. When I was plugged mom still took my temp but instead of cool water she gave me warm soapy enemas.

Author:
Kevin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014, 06:53: pm

My oldest son is 14 and I take his rectal temperature if he is ill.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.