VoyForums

Mon, Oct 23 2017, 23:00:26VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:34:22 06/23/17 Fri
Author: Il ragno mangi l'insetti.
Subject: Our school has produced O champs, WMHs, and dancers on the podium at NAN. I don't force custom dresses on anyone. I often tell parents to buy 2nd hand so long as it fits well and is reasonably in style. The fit is the most important element though. Some parents would never have their child wear used clothing.
In reply to: people do it all the time 's message, "Kind of interesting to see a aint when the poster isn't even going. There are dancers who do dance at NANS in black leos and no wigs. And they've done well for themselves, too. Further there are ways to accommodate those "extras" too and cover going to NANS." on 09:28:10 06/23/17 Fri

I don't want to teach extra classes all day Saturday and all day Sunday, nor do i want to teach private lessons. I get worn out from 6-7 days of teaching and would like time with my family, but parents ask me to run extra lessons because their children don't want to practice and parents don't want the arguments with their children about practicing. Since I am not going to work for free, I charge for extra lessons and private lessons.

Many parents get a boost from the fuss and "comments/likes" on Facebook etc of their dancer in their new dress. Many parents try to do everything they can to support their child by outfitting them well, driving to classes, signing up for feises, paying for private lessons...but the one thing they tend to avoid is making their kids put the work in. So, they blame the teachers for spending all this time and money and not getting the results.

Back to $3000 dresses; there is no need for PW or PC (or many OC) dancers to order top of the line dresses, but if they have the money (and usually if they DON'T, unfortunately), they order them anyway, because everyone else gets one. Who am I to tell someone they can't have something just because they aren't at a high enough level?

We tell parents their options and let them choose. When they choose a poorly made NEW solo dress rather than buy a much better used dress, or they rush to buy anything that fits in a panic because the O is coming up or because it's the only dress that its their budget, or they don't partake in enough classes or don't practice or don't follow other advice; that's fine, but the dancer only advance so far.

If I had a dollar for every parent who said "I wish we listened to you in the first place" when they tried to save a few $$$ by ordering that low-quality dress or bought soft shoes too big so their dancer would grow into them, or didn't insist their dancer practices, I could probably retire.

Sure, some teachers have strict policies (and probably top results to go with them) but don't blame all the teachers.

Stop keeping up with the Joneses, starting saying no, and don't blame others for doing what you actually want to do in the first place, which is take that expensive trip to worlds/nationals, drop a few grand on a new dress or stay in a hotel the night before a feis that is only 90 minutes away.

Armor is on; shield in place; let the flaming begin.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.