VoyForums

Mon, Dec 18 2017, 3:16:37VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:54:52 06/26/17 Mon
Author: ...
Subject: Ah, pell grants started in the early 70s...Colleges have been funded by alumni gifts for about as long as there have been colleges.
In reply to: only shows arrogance 's message, "As a baby boomer, myself, I take exception to your post. You claim you know history and that others don't. Clearly it is you who truly doesn't know. As one who has lived the history, can actually speak to it. The above was correct in correcting you and you arrogantly talk down to the poster as if that makes you right." on 16:16:28 06/26/17 Mon

Government assistance started as early at the 1800s. Many community colleges were still free during the depression and a community college education could take you far. The GI bill started in the 1940s, the concept of FASFA started in the 50s. NDEA started issuing subsidized loans in the 50s. It was all part of beating those "dirty commies" at the space race. In 1964, the Economic Opportunity Act subsidized education as a way to raise people from poverty. You didn't need to get grants during this period because the government helped subsidize the cost for everyone. That's why boomers could work a job and afford to go to school while raising a family. You didn't need grants during this period because the government was already helping. This ended about 1985. Prior to then college students could work a summer to pay for college. Now the idea of a summer job is obsolete.

There has been less assistance since 1980 than before it. People "made it work" because the government was helping universities and the schools passed those savings onto the students. You couldn't do the same things to make it work these days. These days you either have a large donation made to you in the form of a scholarship or wealthy family member or you take on a heavy load of debt.

You just don't get it because you think "well I did it so everyone should be able to" completely oblivious to what you were taking advantage of at the time.

I never even implied my sibling was the same generation as me. You just decided that. You were wrong. The problem really is you've been called out and you don't like it. From where I'm sitting, you're just digging yourself a deeper hole.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.