VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:18:42VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:26:51 07/27/17 Thu
Author: Inside
Subject: Welcome to the subjective world of Irish dance judging!
In reply to: DM 's message, "Looking for advice. My daughter seems to always do well with two out of 3 judges, but always seems to have one judge that gives her a much lower place that the other two. any advice on how to get that more consistant placing from all 3 on a panel. no politis involved here, we are a very small school. Has anyone else experience this?" on 17:57:58 07/27/17 Thu

Each judge has their own criteria for what is good dancing and it isn't always fair. The problem is that there is no objective weight put to each component, so some judges take an "all or nothing" attitude for a particular attribute or set of attributes. When my DD was a new PC dancer, she was twice knocked out of first place by a judge who only cared about turnout and pointing. Artistry, posture, athleticism and timing didn't seem to mean a hill of beans with that judge. My DD turns out and points, but she has flat arches, so her points aren't as exaggerated as the ID ideal. Her turnout is existent, but not as extreme as this judge apparently likes. She is working on that. Other judges give her credit for the attributes she is good at and knock off a few points if they don't like her turnout, etc. Not this judge. Solution? We try not to sign up for feises where she is adjudicating, because we feel like we're throwing our money away. There is absolutely nothing we can do about the "outlier" judges except to avoid the ones we know about. DD is OC and places well. We still avoid the one judge.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• This happened to my dd many times in her early prelim days. One time she was placed 1st, 2nd and dead last in a large group. Do the judges who place your dd low give comments? We usually got them. Dd took -- mom of open champ, 03:50:52 07/28/17 Fri
  • I don't think you read my post completely. Obviously it's best to improve on weak areas and it's not ideal to avoid every judge that ranks your DD poorly. -- Inside, 05:48:46 07/28/17 Fri
  • Sometimes a judge doesn't like your school's steps or teacher, or prefers the host school. Not much you can do practice-wise with that. (NT) -- unavoidable, 10:07:13 07/28/17 Fri

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.