VoyForums

Fri, Dec 15 2017, 17:43:44VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:44:41 08/26/17 Sat
Author: x
Subject: well... they give trophies at the Oireachtas as well. So, I don't agree with your assessment. I think the sashes are super fun because you can wear them around for a while. (more)
In reply to: Just saying. 's message, "The reason it is fun and exciting to win a sash is not because a large ribbon is such a great prize, it is because it is what is given at majors. The more sashes are given out, the less coveted they become. I think they should remain for majors only." on 08:30:08 08/25/17 Fri

I've seen all sorts of awards at different levels... my dancer placed top 10 at Oireachtas and received a small unmarked crystal dish that was EXACTLY the same as one she had won at a local feis for placing 4th out of 5 dancers in an Open Championships. Another year, she placed well at Oireachtas and got a WQ spot and received a very basic plastic trophy. She was happy for the placements, and the "prize" itself didn't really matter... just what they represented.

Other times, she has won crystal, or Baleek, or a unique plaque or plate, as well as sashes at local feises. The sashes are fun because you can display them in fun ways. They are still hung in her room now, and she is an adult. (she did dance well into her mid 20's -- so it's not like they've been there for 15 years.. LOL). The trophies are stuffed in boxes somewhere...

I'm rambling on... but honestly, what is the problem with just giving a prize that is really fun? This is suppose to be fun. Do we have to be so hard nosed and declare that people shouldn't enjoy a sash, or a piece of crystal just because they aren't Oireachtas champs? There are a lot of things about Irish Dance that can lessen the fun for competitors...things that are unfair, and out of the dancer's control. I'm all for choosing awards that are fun, and what dancers like. You should still have to earn them...I'm not suggesting giving a sash for 9th place in a B2 slip jig.. .but if a dancer placed top 3 in a championships or wins a special... I see no harm in giving them a sash sometimes, if that is what the norm is of the time.

Enjoy your dancing, and your prize. It gives the younger kids something to work towards. When my dd was struggling in Novice, I don't think "trying to get 5th at the Oireachtas so she could finally win a sash" would have seemed at all possible to her, so wouldn't have been a realistic goal for her at the time... but busting her butt to win the trad set Special (against Open champs, so it WAS a notable achievement for a Novice dancer!) WAS achievable, and it was the biggest thrill for her to win and wear a sash for a few hours. I see no harm in it. It gave her a boost. It was exciting and fun.

Remember... this IS suppose to be, at least some of the time, fun. And it is actually cool if everyone involved can at least feel like they have a crack at achieving goals. I think we need to remember that not every dancers goal is going to be "top boxes at the OiReachtas". That just isn't in the cards for many (most!) dancers! Let's keep it fun for everyone! Then more people will stay involved.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.