VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Sun, Oct 17 2021, 6:22:14Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 12:18:02 09/04/21 Sat
Author: x
Subject: LOL. I'm sure the MAJORITY of the kids practice this way... which I actually think is fine.
In reply to: LOL! 's message, "Did my daughter type this? LOL, she wastes so much of her "practice time"." on 11:21:13 09/04/21 Sat

How many kids would actually do 1.5 hours of focused practice. My kid, when she was young, practiced more than most Kids (ha.. because I made her, for the most part) but wasn't very focused. We also got together with friends and had fun practicing together (still not that focused... but she always knew her steps).

When she got way older (college age) SHE decided she was tired of being mediocre, and THEN she got focused, did the focused training and X-training, and then she got quite respectably good... (Qualified for Worlds a few times, but still didn't recall there... as she got serious about it a bit late).

Over the years she danced, she learned a lot, had a lot of fun, made good friends, and got a lot of exercise. This is what the VAST MAJORITY of kids get out of Irish Dance... and that is FINE. We knew kids that NEVER NEVER NEVER practices at home, and still did better than my daughter, who practiced quite a bit. They were just better at it... but interestingly, my daughter danced well into her 20's, and is still involved in Irish Dance at almost 30 (though not competitively).

You can not predict or force what your dancer will do. In hindsight...while I don't think the "required" practice hurt her...I'm not sure it accomplished much for her dancing. It did perhaps teach her that if she wanted me to make a BIG financial commitment to it, it was reasonable for her to put some work in as well.

When dancers are younger...have them practice enough so they know their steps and let the teacher deal with technique drilling at class. You can adjust practice expectations as they grow and have bigger goals (or not).

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.