VoyForums

Saturday, August 30, 04:14:03pmVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:59:02 03/09/04 Tue
Author: juniorsader
Subject: Maley to play!!

The word is out....Maley's gonna suit up!!!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Maley to play!! -- dadominate, 17:25:16 03/09/04 Tue

all i can say is that if this is true, it would be outstanding news for HC fans!!! i always though a player of maley's caliber would miss the game if he was away from it for a while, particularly in light of how much he knows he could probably help this program. the pressure and scrutiny of the big ten would be off, he could enjoy the game and most likely excel at this level as the perimeter threat that the team desperatley needs. man i hope this is true!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Maley to play!! -- Zipp, 17:29:53 03/09/04 Tue

Hope it's true. Would create an interesting dilema (I assume he's a shooting guard) with TT at the point and Hamilton and Maley competing for time. Anybody else out there have confirmation?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Maley to play!! -- TS1970, 17:32:37 03/09/04 Tue

That is indeed good news if Mr. Maley is as good a basketball player as I have read here in the past that he is. However, I think we should all wait for an official announcement from Coach Willard and the Athletic Department for verification of what, at this point, may possibly be nothing more than an unfounded rumor or prank.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Maley to play!! -- dadominate, 17:44:45 03/09/04 Tue

maley is 6'6 - and was listed i think as a SF. in willard's system i don't think there's a whole lot of difference between SG and SF anyway. hamilton, simmons, and maley would be an outstanding SG/SF trio.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Maley to play!! -- matunuck, 17:49:33 03/09/04 Tue

not to sound like an idiot but has he transferred from NU to HC??????????????//

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Maley to play!! -- HCinNY, 18:24:18 03/09/04 Tue

Umm...who's Maley?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Maley to play!! -- sader1970, 19:11:51 03/09/04 Tue

From the internet when Maley was heading for Northwestern. (If he plays for HC, is he a walk-on or is a athletic scholarship expected?)

Maley to Northwestern

By Frank Rusnak
Improvement is the key to basketball, preaches Lyons Townships' shooting guard Jim Maley. And who is to doubt Northwestern's most recent recruit to commit, as he is a walking example of the word.

At 6'6" Maley tips the scales at a minuscule 175-pounds, but as a 6'0" spindly freshman at the LaGrange school his weight barely moved the dial on the scale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I just think that early on at the beginning of my career I kept improving and then I finally started to catch up and even surpass a lot of guys because I've kept developing more and more."

Jim Maley
Lyons Township High School

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playing on the freshmen team as a rookie in high school, Maley needed that first year to adjust. But as a sophomore Maley was ready for the big boys.

With the Lions getting a new varsity coach Maley's sophomore year in Conte Stamas, it was just what the high-scoring guard and Lyons needed at the time.

"I was happy when [Stamas] came because I didn't think the old coach was going to pull me up to varsity," said Maley. "Coach Stamas has helped a lot at Lyons. He has really turned it around at our school."

With Stamas having a solid coaching resume, including serving as an assistant at Xavier (OH) University, he was just the medicine that Lyons called upon for a bottomward team. Also, Maley sprouting up six inches and receiving a transfer from Gage Park in current 6'4" senior guard Cortez Forte, didn't hurt the cause, either.

With Forte playing on the sophomore team his first year at Lyons and Maley still working out some kinks as a varsity starter, the future was near for the Lions.

Although they failed to open up many eyes throughout last year's regular season despite a 28-5 record, it was the playoffs when people started to recognize that Lyons was a team to reckon with.

The unfortunate victims of this realization were the Pirates of Proviso East, who faced Lyons in the Sectional Finals. While Lyons had a good team effort and all-around game, Stamas credits Maley for delivering the win for his team.

"That was a game that I can honestly say Jimmy got that win for us," Stamas said.

Torching the talented Pirates for 36 points in a nip-and-tuck battle, Maley made a statement that his game was to be taken seriously.

With Lyons headed down to Peoria for the state tournament's elite eight, they were still looked upon as an underdog. Getting by their first opponent of Moline by a score of 44-40, the Lions found themselves in the final four in the Class AA State tournament.

Losing to the eventual state champion Schaumburg by one point, the Lyons had an unbelievable run considering their top two scorers were both returning for another go at it.

"Last year we snuck up on a lot of people," said Maley. "This year it's going to be tougher because everyone is going to be after us. But last year our goal was just to get to Peoria and this year we want to go down and actually do something while we're down there. We're not going to be satisfied on just getting down there."

Those are big words, but said from a player that has proved himself to be one of the state's best scorers, they must be respected. Averaging 16 points and five rebounds last year while shooting 51-percent from the field, Maley looks to better his performance from a year ago, just as he has his entire career.

"I just think that early on at the beginning of my career I kept improving and then I finally started to catch up and even surpass a lot of guys because I've kept developing more and more," Maley said.

Hitting the summer circuit during this off-season, Maley proved he could hold his own on a national level, as well. Playing in the AAU Nationals in Orlando, Florida and also being invited to the Nike All-American Camp in Indianapolis, Indiana, Maley had a summer to remember.

Many high major colleges also made sure to remember the type of summer that Maley had. After the conclusion of summer, he had scholarship offers from Penn State, Xavier (OH) and of course Northwestern.

"It came down to Northwestern and Penn State," Maley said. "Since they were both rebuilding and I wanted the best academic and basketball combination, I chose Northwestern."

"I think it's a perfect fit for both sides," said Stamas, regarding Maley's commitment. "Jim knows how to play the game. He's very intelligent on the court, very fundamentally sound, knows how to move without the ball and those are just some of the good traits about his game. He will flourish in that system and I think it's a real good fit basketball wise. We are also very excited that he is going to get a great education, and that our staff, basketball team and community can follow him at Northwestern."

At the nearby Evanston-based university, Maley will need added strength and weight and he realizes that, playing in the Big Ten. But despite "eating like a horse" as his uncle Pat Maley explains, it is hard for him to put on the pounds.

Rest assured that if Maley puts on the traditional 'freshmen 15' [pounds] that he will continue to flourish, and improve. Just as he always has.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Maley to play!! -- Sader81, 20:24:18 03/09/04 Tue

February 25, 2003
Freshman forward Jimmy Maley has left the Northwestern men's basketball team with only three games remaining in the regular season.
Maley confirmed he has quit the squad, but would not comment on his reasons for leaving. His father, Jim Maley, said his son has informed Wildcats coach Bill Carmody and his teammates of his decision.
The 6-foot-6, 175-pound Maley averaged 4.6 points and 1.8 rebounds in 20 minutes per game. He played in 21 of the Cats' 24 games this season, starting 11 games.
The native of Western Springs, Ill., scored a career-high 15 points against North Carolina State on Dec. 4, but his production declined in Big Ten play as he lost his starting spot.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Maley to play!! -- HC1843, 20:30:51 03/09/04 Tue

I hope this is true as it would be great news!!!!!!

Anyone want to bet that this wasn't the plan all along. Take a year off for personal reasons w/o having to ride the pine, chill out, refind one's reason for loving the game sans pressure and then step in as a junior.

I also think, admittedly not knowing much about this kid yet, that this is more of a Greg Kinsey pt issue than a Simmons issue, especially if Simmons steps up his defense a bit.

Cheers.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Maley to play!! -- HC '85, 22:29:31 03/09/04 Tue

Don't get too excited about this "news" yet.

Remember that the school is on Spring Break this week, so I'd take this with a large grain of salt and treat it as a hopeful rumor at this point.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Maley to play!! -- tonyt, 07:40:00 03/10/04 Wed

Great news if this is true, another perimeter threat would really help, don't think Mr. Simmons has anything to worry about as far as playing time is concerned, but this could be the death knell for Kinsey.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Maley to play!! -- Non Alum Dave, 20:41:03 03/10/04 Wed

This news (although as stated we shouldn't get too excited until it's official) reminded me of something I've thought of recently: could this years' woes with free throw shooting (and other inconsistent play) from the older players been partly a case of players with one eye (subconsciously)over their shoulders? I think back, at a much higher level, to the 93-94 North Carolina team, fresh off the national championship, with freshmen stars like Rasheed Wallace and Jerry Stackhouse gradually pushing established stars (Montross et al)to the side. They ended up losing to the Bill Curley BC team in the tournament.

By all accounts (and to this observer)this years team did not have an ounce of quit in them, and perhaps this wasn't an issue at all. But could it be next year? If the frosh improve the way KHam did this year it may become their team. Hopefully it will be a positive and not a problem, but I do think it's something that the coaching staff will have to be aware of.

[ Edit | View ]

[> To Juniorsader -- HC81, 15:35:01 03/12/04 Fri

I checked with a couple of players and, if there is any truth to this rumor, it has been the best kept secret around.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.