VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
FUND FREE MAMMOGRAMS
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

Thursday, July 31, 01:22:04amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 12:56:35 03/13/04 Sat
Author: kicker32
Subject: Re: a philosophical question (or two)
In reply to: Ray 's message, "a philosophical question (or two)" on 18:22:00 03/12/04 Fri

Agree with all of the posts above. And the one key element missing from this year's team is made all the more apparent after watching the 1st half of the Vermont-Maine game. Taylor Coppenrath is the kind of player you win with at this level. He scored 28 in the 1st half by using his big body and soft touch...i also think he nailed a 3. As mentioned, there are plenty of solid gaurds out there but a skilled big man wins games for you.
HC needs to go into next season with someone other than Lufkin filling that role.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: a philosophical question (or two) -- Root, 20:01:27 03/13/04 Sat

Good insights all over here; the game really has changed in recent years, and not always necessarily for the better, and least for the pure excitement of competition. The half court game dominates everything, and most teams move the ball around the perimeter, looking for a cutter, or somebody stripped off a pick, or for a good entrance pass to a post player, assuming the team has a dominating player and can get him isolated one on one. But it often takes 2 or 3 rotations of the ball, and then--as happened often with the Cross a few years ago (and probably this year; I only got to see 2 games)--someone is forced to bail out with a forced penetration or a deep three ball. One of the issues that has surprised me in watching Wisconsin in recent years is that Bo Ryan's teams--and he's an exceptional coach--often have players standing around doing little on offense for 5 or 6 seconds at a time. That is, in the motion offense he employs, players are actually not running around consistently, but waiting for a pattern to develop before committing to the next move. In my day a coach would normally chew you out if you weren't in the process of moving somewhere: toward the ball to help out or away from it to set a screen. The old fashion 15 foot jumpshot is also far less used than in the past, one of the reasons being that it is so hard to get. Players are so athletic and play such tight defense that it's hard to get a good look--so it's force the ball inside, if you're capable, or spring someone on penetration, or haul up and shoot the three. Frankly, one has to be a kind of basketball purist to appreciate the kind of great defense many teams play nowadays, including Ralph's teams. The three ball is exciting in a sense, but it's also changed the game in some ways that make it less dependent on some skills that I once loved in a player: the ability to get the first step, drive a defender back, then pull up at 12 feet, and nail a jumper. It happens, but not as much as in the past. (Last NCAA tournament, a lot of clips were shown of old tournaments, and it was amazing to see that in the old days teams had mostly very slender, quick players: weights were disdained until trainers realized you could bulk up without losing flexibility and quickness. Watching the old reruns was startling because I had forgotten how different the game looked back then--and it wasn't only because of the "short shorts.")

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: a philosophical question (or two) -- Root- one of the reasons for lack of cutting..., 10:12:19 03/14/04 Sun

without the ball is that refs let so much bumping and holding go on that very few "clear" cuts are made without the ball. What would certainly been a foul in the 70's is standard defensive practice in today's game. I too think it's sad to see. Look at the scores over the past week and games in the 70's or 80's were rare. almost all the games were in the 50's and 60's.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.