Welcome to the original Women's Enema and Douche Message Board.

Go To http://www.voy.com/58940/

Thursday, April 10, 2014 – VoyForums News: 'Heartbleed' vulnerability in OpenSSL
VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]456 ]
Subject: The 28 1/2-minute Soapsuds Enema

Author:
Corrie
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009, 03:05: pm

My Mom has been a nurse for 30+ years, so I usually get to see her nursing stuff when I'm over visiting. Thanksgiving Day I was looking through some of Mom's stack of reading where there was a report (based on surveys) on the average time nurses spent on certain procedures in hospitals. Among the procedures listed were the soapsuds enema (28 1/2 minutes) and the Fleet enema (5 minutes). I guess I didn't need to be reminded, but no wonder they don't give many SSE's anymore -- even though Mom admits they work better for a lot of patients. .

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: The 28 1/2-minute Soapsuds Enema

Author:
Nancy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009, 08:50: pm

I was working in a nursing home in the 70's when the Fleet became popular. Before the Fleet, giving someone an enema was a very time consuming process. You had to get the equipment, mix the solution and check the temperature, haul it to the room, lube the patient, and wait 5-10 minutes while the enema was going in, then clean and put away the equipment. The whole process took up to a half-hour per person and some days there was a whole list of people who needed an enema.
With the fleet you are in and out in 5 minutes. And these days, Time = Money
I won't claim the Fleet is as thorough or better for the patient, but if the only purpose is to start a bowel movement, they are usually effective.
Even at home, I believe most people today who need an enema for occasional constipation will choose the Fleet over the old fashioned bag for convenience. Those of us who still use and enjoy the bag are a minority.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
Catherine A.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009, 11:25: pm

I had home care after being in the hospital from a nurse who preferred to give enemas the old fashioned way. In my case, I'm sure it took at least 28 1/2 minutes, counting the time it took her to check on me in the bathroom and the cleanup.

Author:
Rita to Chance
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009, 02:59: pm

Thank you for the info on funnel enemas. If I may, I would like to ask (1) Why a small funnel? Couldn't a larger funnel be used? (2) Why a rectal tube? Why couldn't the funnel be connected to a regular type of enema hose equiped with an enema nozzle? Chance, you have probably guessed by now that the questions are because I am the "health officer" for my family of two children and a husband, so the knowledge you have and are willing to share with me about this type of equipment could be of use to me. I now use an open top bag, but as I'm sure you know it is not possible to thoroughly dry the inside of the bag. I don't want to leave it out because the girls are always having friends pop in and out the house, and I worry that there could be a mold issue when I put it away while still wet inside. A funnel can be dried easily. Thanks in advance, Rita W.

Author:
Rita to Chace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009, 04:14: pm

I'm, sorry! For some reason I kept spelling your name wrong in my earlier post to you. No offense was intended, and I hope none was taken.

Author:
Suzy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009, 12:42: pm

I try to give myself a minimum of 45 minutes for a bag enema session. When I.m pressed for time, an enema with my 8 oz. bulb takes about 10 minutes.

Suzy

Author:
Rita to Chace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009, 03:03: pm

Thank you for your highly informative post. It was very kind of you to share that information. I'll do some experimenting with funnel enemas and tell you how it works out. As I said, I would really like to get rid of the bag, and since the kids are both old enough now that they do not need to be over my lap, I have options available.

Author:
Carrie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 07:14: pm

This has to be absolute minimum for a SSE, not average. Here's a more realistic estimate, which is based on approximate time when I assisted a home health nurse give an enema to my mother:
* 5 mins: secure setup, mix and fill bag.
* 5 mins: to bedside, hang bag, position and prep patient, explain procedure.
* 6-10 mins: administer enema.
* 3-5 mins: added time patient retains enema.
* 10-15 mins: expulsion.
* 10 mins: cleanup (patient and equipment)

This is better part of an hour, and it's only one enema.

Author:
Joanie to Rita/Chace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 02:19: pm

I couldn't resist jumping in on this one. What's wrong with a standard syringe bag and hose? If you want to give less fluid just pour less into the bag. If you want to use lower pressure, lower the bag. As for mold, simply run some water laced with a small amount of chlorox through the bag and hose from time to time. Mold will not survive chlorox.

A couple of times my Uncle (doctor) gave me a couple of enemas using a glass funnel and tubing with a catheter attached. I am guessing this was because he felt it necessary for me to take the fluid in the knee-chest position. The other times he gave the fluid with a Higginson syringe with me lying on my left side. My best estimate is that the funnel had about a 1 1/2 Quart capacity. My feeling is that a standard douche/enema syringe with the proper attachements is OK for all situations.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.